barry parade ( planning application)

Callie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The Neighbourhood Vets is the best around & one of

> the best things to happen to this area in a long

> time. I do so hope that we don't lose them!

Agree 100%!

There's nothing at all in the submitted documents to indicate any other businesses would remain on the site other than Roy brooks and the supermarket. Which is supposed to be larger than either the sainsbury at the end of crystal palace road / lordship lane or the tesco by Nigel road, while providing no customer parking whatsoever. And they want to cluster access to residents underground parking, the supermarket loading bay and the bus stop all on Barry road just north of the narrows, all within 30m of road. Only politeness makes me not use a derogatory term here and merely say "dangerous to everyone".

The southern end of Peckham rye green has only just started to get a few places making it worth going to, like Gymboree cafe, the rebuilt one on the rye, and the new clock house; blot the chance for adding some social life at Barry parade out by putting nothing there but a supermarket, thanks a lot.

The business side of this proposal really spits in the face of anyone talking "we like to give chances to smaller businesses". Really, give me the takeaways back.

I guess it's a first iteration - trying to see how far they can go. The design is rather boring - looks like the new built blocks on old Kent by the fire station. "Conservation-area worthy" ho-hum. Lots of overlook.

Fingers crossed this proposal will be reworked.

sedm Wrote:

> If Neighbourhood Vets goes I will be devastated...

> I have a much loved but very poorly rescue kitten

> and that place has been invaluable to me

Yes me too! I popped into the vets on Wednesday & spoke with the manager. He's aware of the plans & assured me they are staying. He said their lease doesn't run out for a good few years & if anything they will be gaining more space to expand the premises.

apples Wrote:

> Interested to know how the planned supermarket

> will be stocked on that busy corner.

And will it be like the shoddy and really badly planned Tescos - both EDRoad and Nigel Road. All the recycling etc. just shoved out the front over the pavement/ pedestrian pathways.

Fear for Barrys Offie and Shaun the Barbers...

Please god something more imaginative emerges.

And five stories? Havin' a laugh....

HP

There are already far too many supermarkets in the area. The planners bleat on about creating jobs but the truth is that jobs are lost when these convenience supermarkets open you only have to look at the effect on the shops by the Plough in Lordship Lane. Sainsburys have stores all over Dulwich now and something must be done to stop them

Done - ugly building, too tall, materials and style incongruous and out of keeping with other surrounding buildings and the area, impinges on local established businesses, extra traffic, deliveries and a carpark near that junction and bus stop ... What's not to love! urgh!

HP

Reflecting the above, I think its important to distinguish between the development of the site per se, which seems to me to be an obviously good thing, and the specific proposed development, which people might object to. The impact on current businesses is a red herring in planning terms.

DaveR Wrote:

> Reflecting the above, I think its important to

> distinguish between the development of the site

> per se, which seems to me to be an obviously good

> thing, and the specific proposed development,

> which people might object to. The impact on

> current businesses is a red herring in planning

> terms.

It would be if there was an alternative proposal floating around. Not seen many though...

El Presidente Wrote:

> oh yeah. much better to have a row of empty shops

> covered in graffiti. That really fits with the

> area....

No one wants a row of empty shops, but then presumably most don't want a shit development either. If they don't think its shit and like it they can also go onto the application and say so. Wasn't that long ago most of them were occupied along there - until the redevelopment came up - cue hoardings and graffiti.

El Presidente Wrote:

> oh yeah. much better to have a row of empty shops

> covered in graffiti. That really fits with the

> area....

Right, no one wants a row of empty shops.. but people here adore graffiti.

They cannot get enough.

I jest not. Any white space.. Cover it with crap.

Foxy