Famous people of E.Dulwich

Does Bon Scott dying in East Dulwich count?....ohh not the dying bit of course....but what a legend and who'd have thought he passed just a few streets from mine? nnnnaaannnaannanannanan thunderr! AC/DC rule!

Shorty (cool if I call you that?) and Marmorma Man I like your mention of NOTABLE famous people which is something lacking in earlier threads dominated by an incomprehensible Heat magazine style fascination with the two bit actors, DJ's and reality TV goons that rate as important in our world today.

That Macroban thread threw up within its discussion the following:

Enid Blyton, R V Davies, Charles Dickens, CS Forrester, Boris Karloff, Gustav Holst, Lord Haw Haw, Oscar Wilde, Ernest Shackleton, Peter Cushing, PG Wodehouse, Bob Monkhouse, Raymond Chandler, Lord Byron, Charles Barry, Edward Alleyn, Michael Faraday, Henry Bessemer, Camille Pissaro, Margaret Thatcher.

Perhaps you were hoping for a far bigger haul of worthy names, Macroban? (ComputedShorty has added Mrs P and Anne Shelton) but that thread is hardly evidence that you "tried" and failed to get the "celebrity worship generation" interested in the history of this area.

Three post mentalism but what the hell.

Both computedshorty's threads have the air of someone who has decided that the posters of this Forum need some reminding, or education, of the local history of the area - and he's going to give it to them. Indeed in a commment in the About This Forum CS said: This is just a thought that might give your younger members as insight that they don't seem to have on what happened where they live now.

Yet threads on the past, and on local history, are always welcomed and well-supported on here.

1 We have had several on the war time history of the area - and they prove that people are not only interested, but often already well-informed.

2 This Forum was, as far as I'm aware, a crucial tool in asking for and organising the renovation of the war memorial at the bottom of Lordship Lane.

3 The 1950s Rodwell Road thread was loved by many for the insights into local life at the time, and drew a wide response.

4. Even small threads asking for information on bottle factories, etc, get good replies.

So, my beef is that CS had no grounds to make that comment, as it assumes a level of ignorance that is not supported by the activity and posts on this Forum.

And neither do you, Macroban, have any grounds for your continued generational antagonism.

I don't know what the problem is, I've been reading some of Shorty's stuff from the V1 V2 thread and have found it intersting. As much as I'm sure there are plenty of sources of local history I don't see how someone who has watched the neighborhood change over 60 years and would like to share his memories is hurting anybody. Who has the right to decide what is a valid topic? If nobody reads it it goes away.

Pettiness is what makes this forum dull.

I've been reading some of Shorty's stuff from the V1 V2 thread and have found it intersting. As much as I'm sure there are plenty of sources of local history I don't see how someone who has watched the neighborhood change over 60 years and would like to share his memories is hurting anybody. Who has the right to decide what is a valid topic? If nobody reads it it goes away.

I don't disagree with any of that. I'm not looking to proscribe a thread or decide on validity, or be petty. Merely to put CS' comments into the context of the Forum as a whole. It was the comment in the About this Forum thread, plus CS's own snippy comments about people going off topic that got to me.

Add to that Macroban's usual "carefully considered "witty" responses" and I was moved to comment further, to provide some balance.

"Who has the right to decide what is a valid topic? "

Well that depends on what is meant as valid - is someone trying to invalidate the thread? I don't think so

If a thread is over repetitive because someone can't be fagged to do a search, or at least differentiate it, then surely it is reasonable for someone to point this out? They haven't demanded any punishment or said the topic isn't of interest to anyone. So in that sense I would say no-one is saying the thread is invalid

They might be saying it's unnecessary because it already exists - which again seems reasonable to me, as they linked to teh previous iterations - look a whole welter of info on tap already! Let's start with that and see if we can add to it, rather than re-invent the wheel?

That is not counting the ones that tell you what you cant do,

Who has told you what you can't do?

Please understand, my very point is that people are interested, and have been for a long time, as evidenced by all the other threads that we have had on these topics. There's nothing wrong with a new thread on the topic, either.

What got to me was the "here's some information your younger readers seem not to be aware of" attitude.

I usually agree with you Sean but not this time.

What bores the pants off me is people ruining an interesting thread by inserting into it a whole load of posts that start a big discussion about whether we should be having the thread at all. If you don't like the thread, leave it alone dont try to spoil it. This is what bullies do. If they don't like what someone else is talking about it they interject their viewpoint into a thread or say "you are new, I'll tell you what you can or can't do"

"They might be saying it's unnecessary because it already exists"

Yes, that is exactly what they are saying, but who are they to say that it is unnecessary.

This is like saying that anything that is entertaining or interesting shouldn't be done because it has been done before.

Why not tell the BBC to stop showing the news because they had similar stories on yesterday.

And just because something is unnecessary for one user, it might not be unnecessary for one of the several thousand other EDF users. As I said on a previous post - if you don't like the channel, change over.

New thread just started on whether repetition should be allowed on the EDF.

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> "Who has the right to decide what is a valid

> topic? "

>

> Well that depends on what is meant as valid - is

> someone trying to invalidate the thread? I don't

> think so

>

> If a thread is over repetitive because someone

> can't be fagged to do a search, or at least

> differentiate it, then surely it is reasonable for

> someone to point this out? They haven't demanded

> any punishment or said the topic isn't of interest

> to anyone. So in that sense I would say no-one is

> saying the thread is invalid

>

> They might be saying it's unnecessary because it

> already exists - which again seems reasonable to

> me, as they linked to teh previous iterations -

> look a whole welter of info on tap already! Let's

> start with that and see if we can add to it,

> rather than re-invent the wheel?

Assuming the E in 'Famous people of E.Dulwich' stands for Emmerdale and that Dulwich is backward for Farm then I'd still have to say No! It might suprise people but I walked past the GMTV Doctor the other day on Lordship Lane and lo and behold she was not submerged by autograph hunters which either means no EDF hardliners were about or in reality is not at all Famous in the sense of which Shorty intended with his OP.