EDF Drinks - November and December

georgia

> Sorry if you find me too worthy BBW, but I find it

> tedious and frustrating that a simple question

> about whether we should dress up a bit for

> December drinks and make it a bit of a Christmas

> party (as has happened previous years)can descend

> so quickly into bum jokes and mild homophobia.

>

Oh annaj...words actually fail me...and that takes SOME doing

> And Ladymuck there was no suggestion of anyone

> having to glam up, I asked what people thought,

> that's all, and the answer is perfectly clear.

Yes, I REALISE that [HUGE WEARY SIGH]...just a figure of speech my dear...that's all...are you ALWAYS this nitpicking and pedantic? But, as you've expressed some interest in my comment (to Monica)...my personal view is that I wouldn't wish to feel under pressure to squander a small fortune on "glamming up" just for a few hours...this is merely MY view, and I appreciate that many ladies would jump at the chance to blow a small sum on a new frock, getting their hair done (or whatever)...it's just not for me...I'm happier pottering around in a pair of "crocs" or in "wellies" digging up spuds on my allotment! Hope I've cleared matters up for you.

> I like a bit of humour to and I don't at all mind

> the odd tit/knob/bum joke, but it's not the odd

> one or two, it's all over the place and it's dull.

Definitions of dull on the Web:

* lacking in liveliness or animation; "he was so dull at parties"; "a dull political campaign"; "a large dull impassive man"; "dull days with ...

* emitting or reflecting very little light; "a dull glow"; "dull silver badly in need of a polish"; "a dull sky"

* being or made softer or less loud or clear; "the dull boom of distant breaking waves"; "muffled drums"; "the muffled noises of the street"; "muted trumpets"

* boring: so lacking in interest as to cause mental weariness; "a boring evening with uninteresting people"; "the deadening effect of some routine tasks"; "a dull play"; "his competent but dull performance"; "a ho-hum speaker who couldn't capture their attention"; "what an irksome task the writing ...

* (of color) very low in saturation; highly diluted; "dull greens and blues"

* make dull in appearance; "Age had dulled the surface"

* not keenly felt; "a dull throbbing"; "dull pain"

* become dull or lusterless in appearance; lose shine or brightness; "the varnished table top dulled with time"

* dense: slow to learn or understand; lacking intellectual acuity; "so dense he never understands anything I say to him"; "never met anyone quite so dim"; "although dull at classical learning, at mathematics he was uncommonly quick"- Thackeray; "dumb officials make some really dumb decisions"; "he ...

* muffle: deaden (a sound or noise), especially by wrapping

* (of business) not active or brisk; "business is dull (or slow)"; "a sluggish market"

* numb: make numb or insensitive; "The shock numbed her senses"

* not having a sharp edge or point; "the knife was too dull to be of any use"

* make dull or blunt; "Too much cutting dulls the knife's edge"

* blunted in responsiveness or sensibility; "a dull gaze"; "so exhausted she was dull to what went on about her"- Willa Cather

Given the above definitions, I do not believe it is the POSTINGS that are DULL...

> But, as you've expressed some

> interest in my comment (to Monica)...

...well it was posted on a public forum rather than a PM to her.

> my personal

> view is that I wouldn't wish to feel under

> pressure to squander a small fortune on "glamming

> up" just for a few hours...this is merely MY view,

> and I appreciate that many ladies would jump at

> the chance to blow a small sum on a new frock,

> getting their hair done (or whatever)

Don't think the hairdressers of ED and the shops of the West End were going to have to take on extra staff on the 4th Dec... would look a bit overdone just for a night in a bar with some friends - or has the location changed to the Dorchester Ballroom??!!

Since when did glamming up mean spending loads?

annaj & mockney piers

> > I would class that as mild homophobia ...

> Have to agree, totally ...

That perception is entirely a product of your own imaginations. No expression of homophobia was intended on my part. It was a joke. I happen to be straight but I'd be just as comfortable attending a Pink Drinks as a regular EDF Drinks - I'm sure they're a great bunch.

And I'm sure they would laugh their heads off at the sight of BBW trying to emulate the "balloon knot" effect, too.

I think 'glamming up' would mean putting on a prettier top and some jewellery rather than anything super-expensive - it's still in a pub, isn't it?

Not sure I want to go to the drinks if this is the atmosphere that's being generated these days, but then again perhaps I wouldn't be welcome anyway.

In agreement with AnnaJ and MP here.... as soon as such "witty" banter starts Ladymuck, I find my eyes glazing over . I find these postings incredibly tedious - perhaps when the "urge" takes you, you could simply use the PM facility. Likewise when you feel the need to discuss private outings with other forumites.

"I think 'glamming up' would mean putting on a prettier top and some jewellery rather than anything super-expensive - it's still in a pub, isn't it?"

My thoughts exactly Moos.

"Not sure I want to go to the drinks if this is the atmosphere that's being generated these days, but then again perhaps I wouldn't be welcome anyway."

I understand how you feel Moos and we've had a bit of a staring contest on this thread and others now and again but rest assured (all of you) that I would never bring any bad feelings to an event as interesting as the forum drinks, especially just before Christmas.

However you come attired whether it be in sequins or denim, I don't care. All I'm hoping is that we have an enormous turnout for the event and get pissed and make a disgrace of ourselves, in the politest possible way.

I find the forum drinks very curious affairs as I enjoy finding out what the regulars are really like in the flesh.

Actually Woolfie, I think you'll find that sequins are very this season. If I were to come to the December drinks (which isn't very likely) I would be dressed to the nines. After all, in the words of Noddy Holder, IT'S CCHRRIISSTMMAAASSSSSSSSSS

You wouldn't be the first to discover HAL that some seemingly innocuous banter can come across badly though wholly unintended.

Okey dome people, glam or no I'm sure both occasions will he lovely. I've never seen any trouble or issues at previous drinks. I have heard that someone had a bad time on e but given subsequent events I'll take that with a measure of salt.

See you all there you happy people.

buggie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> But, as you've expressed some interest in my comment (to Monica)...

>

> ...well it was posted on a public forum rather

> than a PM to her.

>

To be fair (to me), I was responding to a Forum posting...had a PM been sent, I would, naturally, have replied by PM. However, in all fairness (to you)...you've HAVE raised a valid point.

> my personal view is that I wouldn't wish to feel under pressure to squander a small fortune on "glamming

> > up" just for a few hours...this is merely MY view, and I appreciate that many ladies would jump at

> > the chance to blow a small sum on a new frock, getting their hair done (or whatever)

> Don't think the hairdressers of ED and the shops of the West End were going to have to take on extra staff on the 4th Dec...

I wasn't suggesting they were.

would look a bit

> overdone just for a night in a bar with some

> friends -

I couldn't agree more.

or has the location changed to the

> Dorchester Ballroom??!!

I hope not!

> Since when did glamming up mean spending loads?

I wasn't suggesting that either...my comment utilises the word "small" (twice)...moreover, it makes quite clear that I am speaking only for myself. Also, don't you think (when speaking of sums of money) that what constitutes a "small fortune" to one person does not necessarily mean the same thing to another...i.e. it's all subjective. In other words, ?25 on getting a cut and blow dry may appear quite prohibitive to (e.g.) a single mum or someone who has been made redundant, whilst to a highflying executive in the 40% tax bracket it may not.

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

> Funnily enough most of those definitions do

> describe all to well the level of conversation

> that anna has referred to ladym, and not as you

> appear to be insinuating, anna herself

Sean, it's all very much subjective...i.e. what one might consider "witty", "dull" (or whatever), another might find "crass", "exciting" etc....that's what makes an individual

Bellenden Belle Wrote:

> In agreement with AnnaJ and MP here.... as soon as

> such "witty" banter starts Ladymuck, I find my

> eyes glazing over . I find these postings

> incredibly tedious - perhaps when the "urge" takes

> you, you could simply use the PM facility.

> Likewise when you feel the need to discuss private

> outings with other forumites.

In order to avoid repetition, could I respectfully refer you to previous postings - where I have dealt with the issues of "subjectivity" (is there such a word?) and the PM facility. Thanks.

> You wouldn't be the first to discover HAL that

> some seemingly innocuous banter can come across

> badly though wholly unintended.

>

> Okey dome people, glam or no I'm sure both

> occasions will he lovely. I've never seen any

> trouble or issues at previous drinks. I have heard

> that someone had a bad time on e but given

> subsequent events I'll take that with a measure of

> salt.

>

> See you all there you happy people.

That's the (Christmas) spirit Mockney...good on you..."tis the season..."

Jesus, Mary and Joseph.

If we don't all stop our collective *sigh*ing on this bloody forum, we'll blow out all the Diwali candles (and while I'm not one myself, some of my very best friends are Diwalians so that would be simply horrid).

I'm putting a stake in the ground right now to say that I will be glamorous in December. And maybe not just at the drinks. Maybe for the whole advent period. Ooh, and new year too. Maybe just because I can. Because I have some clothes in my wardrobe that I consider nice, and because I own a hairbrush. I might even go so far as to put on lipstick. And I'm not going to buy one single new item of anything for you lot, because frankly, I've been to the forum drinks and I think I've got clothes that are plenty slutty, sorry, I mean glamorous enough - as Buggie rightly pointed out, it isn't the Dorchester.

And Ladymuck, if you want to wear the ugliest shoes known to mankind, then good on you - no one's making you brush your hair - and it'll only make me in my lipstick look even more shallow and preening and overdressed than I already will.

God bless us every one.

matthew123 Wrote:

> I think most ppl turn up fairly smart anyway - or

> at least with clean clothes. Somehow though I

> don't see any of us guys turning up on Lordship

> Lane wearing a penguin suit and top hat on a

> friday night :))

Now that WOULD be funny (subjectively speaking, of course;-))

> And Ladymuck, if you want to wear the ugliest

> shoes known to mankind, then good on you - no

> one's making you brush your hair - and it'll only

> make me in my lipstick look even more shallow and

> preening and overdressed than I already will.

>

> God bless us every one.

[HYSTERICAL LAUGHTER...]...bye the way, are you referring to the hair on my head or my legs?!;-)

God bless you too! [looks serious and makes "sign of the cross"]

blimey LM what happened here I only asked you about another event and all hell breaks loose, what are we now monitored by the EDF police, because I dared ask you along to the party of the year on this thread tut tut. In answer to your question re the December drinks my love I shall not be attending because I like to be different and rebelious >:D

monica Wrote:

> blimey LM what happened here I only asked you

> about another event and all hell breaks loose,

> what are we now monitored by the EDF police,

> because I dared ask you along to the party of the

> year on this thread tut tut. In answer to your

> question re the December drinks my love I shall

> not be attending because I like to be different

> and rebelious >:D<

To Monica:

I have PM'd you a reply.

To whom it may concern:

You cannot accuse me of not taking note!