seacow

mac16

Andyng Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yes I agree fish was tasteless.I highly recommend

> the one opposite

> forest hill station 10 out of 10 .

Ooohhh I second that - popped in there after pub quizzes next door and never disapointed!!!

Andyng Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yes I agree fish was tasteless.I highly recommend

> the one opposite

> forest hill station 10 out of 10 .

Thirded. Cod and chips with mushy peas for my tea tonight from there. Marv.

God forbid I should mention this, but I have bought fresh fish from the Seacow's counter to cook at home, and it was very good. The guy serving me was able to tell me where the fish was bought, and that it was landed that day. It was certainly very good and extremely fresh.

A few days later I bought fresh fish from Moxons, and although they are clearly knowledgeable, the lemon sole I bought had not been gutted or scaled properly, and it was old - it smelled like ammonia when I unwrapped it, which is clearly not good. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt though, as everyone seems to love Moxons in this place.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's down to managing expectations...

I've always thought of the Seacow as one of those places i wouldn't bother trying, I think it's just fish and chips and if you have expectations then you will be disappointed. My friend went there and hated it...but what was she expecting...precisely! If you see it for what it is (I think a really good concept in a really good location) then you will be fine and happy to eat there. The cost of fish and chips seems to have gone up in all chip shops of late...

I think Emily's on NC is good, but then is this simply because I'm paying fish and chip prices for adequate fish and chips? Mmmmmm. The premium you pay on top for Seacow is surely for the sit down meal, the novelty, the location? So accept that and problem solved.

In defence of the seacow - the prices charged usually refelct the quality of fish served - and compared to the crap that most fish bars produce ion london, the SC gets it right most of the time - London is a desert of good fish N chips. Olleysin HH is OK and has more choice *( IIRC ) bit the end priducts is as good as the SC.

Fish is still the only foodstuff we eat that still has to be hunted ( unless you eat filthy farmed salmon ), you have to bear that in mind when you sqeal at paying ?5-6 for fish ni chips - anyway, whats ?5-6 for a lunch ? its nothing in the big scheme of things - the price of a pret Sushi is comparable

What ywouod you get at the Blue Mountain caf for a fiver ? a coffee, a bit of toast, a table outside that rocks to & fro of its own accord and a big fat slice of bad attitude.

No contest

I like the sea cow - you can get a nice slice of fresh tuna with some chips and a glass of wine. better than a greasy battered bit of frozen cod with greasy squishy chips and not that much more expensive. Only downside is you come out smelling like a fry up.

I dont know about anyone else, but I quite enjoy the fact that fish and chips is a grasy one off treat, and I think seacow is a million miles from offering what I consider to be traditional fish and chip supper... I guess if your a health freak or just like to think your better than everyone else because your eating there thats fine, but otherwise I dont see the point going in there when you can go in a whole host of decent chippies around Dulwich. And by the way asset, who drinks a bottle of wine with f&c? :)

I think you'd be surprised how many people do drink with with everything Louisa (or even with nothing) - me, I don't even like f&c. Well, I like the c but I just have never taken to fish.. My loss I know

As for types of places, let's say the Seacow did chicken as well which means it would be on my list of possible destinations... I can imagine going to both. I like the amount of sit-down space in the SeaCow and the fact that I can have beer, but sometimes I just want the simpler experience of a proper chippy (the best of which I think is opposite Forest Hill Station next to the Hob)

If I'm around CPT area I like the chips from chippyA and the chicken from chippyB (Brittania?)

The Chippies round ED are pretty Dire IMHO & experience.Proper Fish should be steamed by virtue of the batter / oil situation - most chippies cook it too cool and the fish ends up grim. Most other chippes use frozen fish as a standard & there is no comparions betwen fresh Cod & Haddock & Frozen varieties when it comes to taste - tho' I have had one or two SC fish that did veer towards the mush &^ I suspect that there were frozen rather than fresh - but that was an abberation I think.

Still most Brits have ben brou8ght up with soggy F&C and are used to it now -dont know any different - irrespective of whether its true to real F&C or not. LIvebait is always a treat for me .