Crime in Dulwich (Lounged)

panama

5imon Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> amusing idea: people 'commuting' to dulwich to

> commit crimes - perhaps reading the telegraph,

> with a latte on, complaining about the lateness of

> trains etc.

'I was a mugger in Hampstead for 5 years - commute nearly killed me though. Now I'm concentrating on Dulwich I can be back home with the wife in time for Eastenders' etc

[quote name=There seems to have been an increase in crime in Dulwich lately, with robberies by East Dulwich Station and on Lordship lane as well as by Red Post Hill estate, i think a lot of it is by youths passing through the area probably from Peckham and Camberwell.]

seems probably

What are you telling us that is fact or new or enlightening that isn't just your opinion (whether it's right or wrong)?

Shame on you panama, shame on you - We should be thinking more about handing out warm gloves and scarves to these poor kids who are cycling around in the cold every night trying to make enough money to pay for their next pizza. Tut tut for calling them scum - you got to realise in many peoples eyes they're modern day Dick Turpins who will form the next dynasty of statues of south London shopping centres.

panama Wrote:

> My posts are not written with attitude and bias

> just fact, sorry if the truth hurts.

What facts?

"There seems to have been an increase in crime in Dulwich lately" - is there or isnt there?

"i think a lot of it is by youths passing through the area probably from Peckham and Camberwell" - you think or you know?

"It seems however that not everyone is reporting these to the police so the actual numbers are unknown" - are they or arent they?

"Most of these robberies are committed by youths on bikes wearing hoods" - says who?

"thats the main problem with society now is that people don't report things or help other people in incidents like muggings as they are afraid they would get hurt" - Is it really the main problem in society at the moment? What about the decline of the NHS? an aging population? economic depression? bigotry and racism?

"the majority of these robbers are gutless cowards who will run away if confronted, they are only brave if they are in a large gang catch them by themselves and they are pathetic little fools" - You are either a Daily Mail features writer or an escaped Viz character.

There arent actually any facts in the above - just received wisdom and knee jerk assumption.

I for one am going back under the table with a collander on my head and a large stock of tinned food until the bad men go away and we can return to the green and pleasent lad of yesteryear (edit: should read "land of yester year" - but the idea of returning to the "lad of yesteryear" is quite amusing)

matthew123 Wrote:

> Shame on you panama, shame on you - We should be

> thinking more about handing out warm gloves and

> scarves to these poor kids who are cycling around

> in the cold every night trying to make enough

> money to pay for their next pizza. Tut tut for

> calling them scum - you got to realise in many

> peoples eyes they're modern day Dick Turpins who

> will form the next dynasty of statues of south

> London shopping centres.

"poor kids"

they are just kids - poor ones at that

* ths is not an invitation to begin a long tiresome discussion on deprivation/ poverty/ "when I was a lad I had nothing but didnt steal..."etc

We need a Home Guard.

Armed with rolling pins and mops.

Regular patrols, stop and search anybody who isnt from SE22, keeping a close eye on cyclists, enforcing the "nobody coming into ED from Peckham or Brixton on the 37 is allowed to get off" rule, watching out for enemy aircraft coming from Peckham, Camberwell and Brixton and guarding the virtue of our ladies from those from Outremer.

The three crimes I've exerienced in ED (witnessing a bloke with a pistol, a bloke running away from a burglary and a burglarly from the flat below us) were all committed by guys in their late 20's, early 30's. And not a hood in sight. It's too easy to point the finger at young people. Just to throw something else into the pot, a lot of street crime (mugging, burglaries) is drug related and by that I mean serious drugs, like crack. You don't find many young people with serious crack habits, much more likely to find people it in their late 20's, 30's. (And yes, I've worked in the drug field in Lambeth, running a service for young people). Not sure what point I'm making really, just putting my twopence worth in.