6 Lordship Lane (& other shop planning applications)

Nero

oh right, i was wondering what was going on with the empty units by the video shop (that sounds some what outdated 'video' shop. so bombay going there, what goes next door? or has all this been sorted on another thread? sorry if it has and please redirect me, cheers.

i remember reading about a gym or osteopath place, but i thought that was going up towards the plough end ... so much activity on one south east london high street. it's all too exciting.

No 116 LL (old packing factory on corner of Bassano St, next to Thomas More(?) hall) is supposedly being converted into consulting rooms for some Harley Street consultants - this was second hand info, but might be the gym/osteo place you are referring to. I had also heard that Bombay Bicycle CLub have pulled out, don't know whether it's true but could well be, given how long they have had to open up.

I was chatting to the friendly owner of Willam Rose some while back about the shop next door, and he said that an elderly lady lived there and they had approached about leasing/buying her shop bit to expand into. Apprently she's not terribly friendly and said 'absoultely not' and 'by the way make sure you customers don't queue outside my shop front either' !! So they now have to do this queue management thing and direct people to the kerb side when it reaches the end of their shop front.

TJS Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> wans't that planning request raised ages ago? -

> Back in October 2006, looks like nothing has

> happened since

Yes i know, seems a bit strange that it's taken so long. Saw the builder and his sons in there last week, asked tham what was happening but they wouldn't give anything away!

A useful way of checking what planning applications are being considered is to look at them online

Go to following link 'Planning Lists' to see how to access this information.

If you are a nosey lace curtain twitcher then you can also see what your nearest neighbours are planning as well..

:-S

Amelie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I am not sure that the lady who lives next to

> William Rose has any legal right to make such

> demands, the pavement is public not private

> property.

I think that she may be able to claim obstruction of a public highway in this situation and ask the police to enforce it, which would be a shame for William Rose hence the solution they have now is more or less the best for everyone (apart from maybe a bigger premise that is)

>>I think that she may be able to claim obstruction of a public highway in this situation and ask the police to enforce >>it, which would be a shame for William Rose hence the solution they have now is more or less the best for everyone

>>(apart from maybe a bigger premise that is)

That sounds doubtful to me as, firstly, the public highway is the road and not the pavement and, secondly, it's not an obstruction if you're actually moving - and as William Rose employ gazillions of assistants even the longest queue moves at a pretty fair lick...

But the "solution" is obviously the diplomatic way to go, especially if WR still harbour long-term aims of buying her out and need to keep her sweet.

> I am not sure that the lady who lives next to William Rose has any legal right to make such demands, the pavement is public not private property.

Long stretches of the Lordship Lane pavements are owned by the shops. It's difficult to tell which unless there are boundary markers.

It would certainly make life interesting if the shops built boundary walls.

I'd find myself wondering if the old lady should have the legal right to keep the property vacant - there should be regulations in place that prevent indivudals from owning prime commercial property and deliberately preventing it being used for the purpose for which it has been categorised? I guess not.

I certainly wouldn't bother keeping her sweet - if she's continued to turn down reasonable financial offers on the property she's got a bad attitude. She can't turn a busy commercial street into a quiet residential one just because she fancies it that way.

It's a bit like that shop next door to Blue Mountain: that one apparently is being deliberately kept off the market because the owner had an unhappy commercial experience running the place, so now he's keeping it shut out of spite. Surely qualifications for ridicule?

These vacant lots are a blight on the local environment.