Forum Sponsors

www.tailored-living.co.uk
xxxx
http://www.brosacarpetsandpestservices.co.uk/carpet-cleaning

Professional Carpet Cleaning at an affordable price - A & M Carpet Care

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your East Dulwich doctor, dentist or butcher?
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2829303132333435363738Next
Current Page: 37 of 38
messageRe: Ask Admin
Posted by 19 October, 2016 13:31

Alan Medic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello Admin.
>
> I just wondered if it was feasible for each post
> in a thread to have a number? The idea of this is
> to stop people quoting a whole bl**dy post to add
> their 3 words of comment. Instead they could quote
> number 54 or whatever.

Posted by CindyA 22 October, 2016 22:38

Hi there,

Is there a way to edit the title of a post? Need to address an update.

Thanks!
Cindy

Posted by ianr 23 October, 2016 15:00

Yes, the Subject line, as well as the content, is editable when you select the edit window. I assume you're wanting to change what appears in the list of threads. To do that, you just need to edit the opening post in the thread.

Posted by lavender27 18 November, 2016 21:30

How do I change my username, I am bored with Lavender27?

Posted by sweetsanctuary 22 November, 2016 14:51

Good-afternoon.
My name is Chris Joseph, owner of Sweet Sanctuary at 47 North Cross Road in East Dulwich.
I would like to find out about advertising on the forum and also would like to just let people know who
we are and what we will be doing, together with opening hours for the month of December and going forward
into 2017.

Kindly advise how to proceed with this.
Many thanks

Posted by Robert Poste's Child 22 November, 2016 22:15

Why did you delete my posts today? As far as I know they didn't infringe any rules and you haven't informed me there were any issues with them.

Posted by Administrator 23 November, 2016 10:05

Because I said please stay on topic of Goose Green roundabout and you said...

"...BMW drivers do seem to be prone to aggression and lack of consideration... They're TK Maxx cars - entry level for idiots who believe that a brand name says something about you (other than you're a d1ck)."

robbin said:

"I like it - more of the same off-topic bigotry, but thinly disguised (by the first of five lines) as a serious and relevant post, in the apparent hope of avoiding The Administrator's 'amber warning indicator'!"

You said: "Tactics, my friend."

Admittedly I have got out of bed on the wrong side today especially after the spam attack last night, and so spending time clearing up after them means I don't have time for people who should know better. And I really don't have time to go round telling people they've infringed rules or polite requests.

--------------------
The Administrator

Posted by Robert Poste's Child 23 November, 2016 23:00

Administrator Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Because I said please stay on topic of Goose Green
> roundabout and you said...
>
> "...BMW drivers do seem to be prone to aggression
> and lack of consideration... They're TK Maxx cars
> - entry level for idiots who believe that a brand
> name says something about you (other than you're a
> d1ck)."
>
> robbin said:
>
> "I like it - more of the same off-topic bigotry,
> but thinly disguised (by the first of five lines)
> as a serious and relevant post, in the apparent
> hope of avoiding The Administrator's 'amber
> warning indicator'!"
>
> You said: "Tactics, my friend."
>
> Admittedly I have got out of bed on the wrong side
> today especially after the spam attack last night,
> and so spending time clearing up after them means
> I don't have time for people who should know
> better. And I really don't have time to go round
> telling people they've infringed rules or polite
> requests.

Yet you seem to have targeted only me and not other people posting similar comments in this and other threads, which appears random and inconsistent. I assumed robbin's post was a joke and responded in kind. Mine also included a comment about a BMW driver who I ended up reporting to the police, so hardly bigotry. I see you also deleted my subsequent post in the thread asking why it happened.

Posted by Administrator 24 November, 2016 09:31

How do you know I only targeted you and not others in this and other threads? Why do you think I am targeting you alone?

Maybe other irrelevant posts were removed and the affected users just thought fair enough and got on with their lives.

--------------------
The Administrator

Posted by Alan Medic 26 November, 2016 06:24

Admin, do you get fed up of people starting threads in this section to ask you a question, when this thread exists?

Posted by Administrator 26 November, 2016 08:32

Hi Alan, not really. This thread is a useful beacon to those who understand the basic fundamentals of life however I'd be daft to ignore that there's always those who want to make their own mark. Nonconformity isn't a bad thing, in fact it's a great thing, but sometimes it is a bit selfish for people to do things "because they can" that interfere with others, like uneccesarily driving in the middle lane of the motorway which does annoy me.

But no, a new post in this section asking me a question ain't so bad.

--------------------
The Administrator

Posted by Rob tolfts 30 November, 2016 22:27

I don't seem to be able to post in the local trades section, I wanted to leave a recommendation for a local plumber who did some work for us, do I need to do something different?

Posted by bargee99 February 23, 10:23AM

Hi Admin,
You recently said that resetting new posts would speed up the website. I now do this regularly. However, I can only see a way to do this separately for every section. Is there a global button to reset them all that I have missed. If not, would it be possible to add one to the home page unless there is a technical reason for not doing so. Thanks.

Posted by Administrator February 23, 02:37PM

Hi bargee99

I ve just had a go at installing a handy link that would do that, but it doesn't work. I'll try again later and let you know if I have any luck.

--------------------
The Administrator

Posted by bargee99 February 23, 03:48PM

Thanks very much for your impressive speedy response. Good luck.

Posted by bargee99 March 06, 09:49AM

Hi Admin, I apologise if my request for a general reset new posts button is causing you problems and making hundreds of old posts appearing as new ones at the moment. I've admin'd a small website and know they can be quirky things at best.

Posted by Alan Medic March 10, 01:04PM

Hi Admin,

I think your forum clock might be out by about 10-15 minutes.

Posted by Administrator March 10, 04:30PM

Time test - posting this at 16:30

--------------------
The Administrator

Posted by Administrator March 10, 04:32PM

All sorted now, thanks for letting me know.

And bargee99, I've not done anything with the system since you've asked but it did give me a nudge in the direction of spring cleaning the forum, upgrading, making it mobile friendly etc. We're working on it in the background so stay tuned.

--------------------
The Administrator

Posted by Alan Medic March 20, 01:10PM

Hi Admin,

In what must have been a semi asleep mode, I thought I read a PM sent to me. Next time I looked it wasn't there. Is that possible? I'm not likely to have deleted it.

Posted by Administrator March 20, 01:49PM

Hi

Anything's possible; you could have deleted it by mistake, you could have been logged on as another user then logged on again as a different user on a different device but not realised and expected to see the message. The system doesn't delete PMs without warning though.

--------------------
The Administrator

Posted by Alan Medic April 27, 01:15PM

[www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk]

Any chance of something similar for the GE Admin? There is a thread asking which way people will vote. Someone mentioned that any Conservatives or UKIPers in the area would probably avoid the thread. This would give people the chance to say something anonymously.

PS Not that I would vote for either

Posted by Administrator April 27, 02:11PM

Hi

I was thinking about that yesterday... we will do it, which parties to put on there? Just the Southwark ones covering East Dulwich and when? Probably a week or so before the election.

--------------------
The Administrator

Posted by Alan Medic April 27, 03:05PM

I'd say put all the major parties in. It might be more interesting doing it sooner rather than later. If I remember
correctly people could change their vote. With this we might see swings over a period of time. Anyway, it's your baby. Thanks.

Posted by faresse May 12, 08:38PM

Hi, when I try and post in the for sale section, it just returns to the text screen and nothing actually posts. Can you tell me why? Never had this issue before. Thanks.

Posted by Siduhe May 12, 09:01PM

Usually it's because you are using a forbidden word - there are some words that get used in spam posts a lot, which the forum rejects - "bump" I think is banned, for example. Kitchen was a banned word for a while too due to lots of spam. Try rewording your post.

Posted by bargee99 May 22, 07:37PM

Hi Admin,
I notice that the front page regularly shows thousands of posts as "new" when in fact only a few are. I hope this isn't a problem caused trying to accommodate my request to have a global reset of new posts. I find now that it is easier to reduce the size of the page so that you can see it all on the screen and then click all the reset buttons in turn. If trying to do it in normal size it resets to the top of the page so you can't see the bottom ones and you have to scroll down to every button which then resets it to the top of the page again. Once all new posts are cleared return to normal size.

Posted by Administrator May 24, 09:10AM

Hi

'New' refers to unread posts, so unless you're reading 600+ posts a day there will be 000's. And that sounds like the best way to reset all the posts, I would like to find a better way but it's not top priority right now.

--------------------
The Administrator

messageRe: Ask Adminattachment
Posted by bargee99 May 26, 01:15PM

Hi Admin,
I was referring to this scenario this morning. I cleared all the new posts yesterday and today it is showing every thread and post ever made as new. Screenshot attached. Does this happen when a PC is rebooted do you happen to know or when any cookies are removed. Thanks for your hard work in keeping the forum going.

Attachments: EDF new messages.jpg (104.9KB)  
Posted by Administrator May 26, 04:11PM

Hi

I'm really not sure. Are you definately logged in as the same user? It's set to each user so where you log in from makes no difference, it's who you're logged in as that counts.

--------------------
The Administrator

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2829303132333435363738Next
Current Page: 37 of 38

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed