real ale (at The Magnolia)

magnolia

Good form there. Landlord and Spitfire are good stock ales and Doom Bar is a good choice for an interesting guest ale.

For personal preference only I would like to see a honeyed, golden ale as a guest now and then. Both of the main London breweries do one. Fullers do Honey Dew and Youngs do Waggle Dance (although I?m not sure if it is available on draught).

Or why not try something from Badger, I always enjoy their beers and they do cask conditioned ales for those who like that kinda thing. I?m not sophisticated enough to tell the difference though.

Why not contact CAMRA and see if they can help/advise. I've been to several real ale festivals with a choice of 40 or 50 real ales from around the country which are brilliant for trying new things.

The key would be variety. Real ales have so much variety, from more straight forward bitters, to pale ales and heavier more malty beers.

YAY, Adnam's Broadside, great :)

If there's a beer festival, can I put in a plea for Theakston's Old Peculier (sic), also if there's cider can we have Addlestone's??

Hooray!

There goes another doubling of my waistline :))

:)-D

A beer festival sounds fantastic. I can't agree though with those who've suggested Youngs, Shepherd Neame and Fullers beers. You can get those anywhere (even in Sainsbury's) and surely the idea of a beer festival is to be able to try unusual beers from smaller independant breweries.

I second the calls for Badger or Ringwood. Blandford Fly, Badger Best, Tanglefoot and Ringwood 49er all good calls.

I find Theakstons a bit dull.

There's a west country beer called Tribute or Tribune I think (can never remember which, and that's lush).

Or pop in the Vale and see the couple of real ales they've been keeping lately from a Kent Brewery no more than 40 miles away. Think one was called Trafalgar and was very good indeed.

To be honest, as long as the ale's well kept and there's a choice it will keep people like me happy.

TheePope Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I find Theakstons a bit dull.

>

>xxxxxxx

Are you perchance related to the guy on another thread who thought Ganapati was a crap Indian Restaurant?

I would insert a smiley here, but they have totally disappeared off my laptop, how can this be?? Will try the colon and bracket and see what happens :)

:(

Erm, got no smiley menu but seem to be able to produce smileys and frowneys, how can this be ???? Not sure I can do the happy clappy beer clinking smiley without the menu though ... :)

Err, no Sue I'm not! Or not that I know of, never tried Ganapati but look forward to at some stage.

But seriously Theakstons! Ok, maybe it's alright, but it's one of the more common ales you see in pubs and it's usually pretty bland at least when I've had it in London.

Try some Ringwood 49er - then come back and agree with me!

Anyway far too early to be talking ale.

TheePope Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> >

> But seriously Theakstons! Ok, maybe it's alright,

> but it's one of the more common ales you see in

> pubs and it's usually pretty bland at least when

> I've had it in London.

>

xxxxx

I'm not talking yer common or garden Theakston's, I'm talking OLD PECULIER !!!!!!!

BLAND ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

And if you find it commonly in any pubs in ED or nearby, please let me know so that I can get myself down there PDQ :)

PS Has anybody else lost their smiley menu, replaced by an "explorer user prompt" (I don't use IE!) or is it just me??