Forum Sponsors

007Handyman
xxxx
http://avalonkitchens.co.uk/

www.inshutters.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your East Dulwich doctor, dentist or butcher?
Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 40
messageRe: Ask Admin
Posted by Keef 10 July, 2008 13:28

LOL the finger smiley

What Sean said!

Posted by KalamityKel 10 July, 2008 13:55

I often think that too and peek over into the bosses little area to see if shes sitting there wiv a smug look on her face while shes playing on messenger, facebook and shoe websites... :-|

Posted by candj 16 August, 2008 12:44

Dear Admin,

Question regarding spell check, when I type in the message part of a post my 'English' spelled words get underlined (as if they were spelled incorrectly) and my 'US-English' spelled words don't get flagged at all. What is this? It's taken me a long time to get used to the English spelling of things!

Many thanks for what's probably an annoying question on a Saturday.

-C

Posted by Peckhamgatecrasher 16 August, 2008 14:27

There's a spell check function? Where?

Posted by candj 16 August, 2008 14:34

Maybe I'm crazy, but my computer, Macbook Air, underlines words that are misspelled. Am I crazy? Or is my laptop smarter than me? I think you're right PGC, there must not be a spellcheck on the forum as I've seen some big spelling/syntax/grammar mistakes that are more than typos (myself included). surprised smiley

Posted by SeanMacGabhann 16 August, 2008 14:46

it has more to do with which browser you use. Fire fox does it by default for example. I have not used internet explorer for years

Posted by candj 16 August, 2008 15:06

Zut alors! Safari is checking my spelling whilst I type. Many thanks and sorry to disturb people in this weird part of the forum.

Posted by ed_pete 11 September, 2008 11:34

Is it possible to specify wildcards in the message/author searches ? If so how do you do it ?
TIA

Posted by mockney piers 12 September, 2008 18:41

A quick test shows that an asterisk seems to do the trick for multiple letters.
ie "def*ly" returns posts with both "definitely" and "definately".

I tried ? for specific single letter ie "defin?tely" but that didn't work.

Posted by giggirl 17 September, 2008 12:07

Dear Admin - please can you tell me how to upload photographs directly into the post. I'm sure this info is on here already but I just can't find it. Maybe send me a link.

Thanks in anticipation.

px

Posted by KalamityKel 23 September, 2008 08:02

Anyone else not getting notification emails of PMs?

messageRe: Ask Adminattachment
Posted by Administrator 23 September, 2008 08:45

To upload photos directly into the post (sorry it is a bit long winded):
1) attach the image as a file to your message
2) Post the message
3) Click on the attachment in the new message
4) Right click on the image and "copy image location" or similar
5) Edit the message, click the icon to insert the image's URL http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/mods/editor_tools/icons/image.gif and paste in the URL

Hope that helps

--------------------
The Administrator

Attachments: img-bike.jpg (38.1KB)  
Posted by SeanMacGabhann 23 September, 2008 09:41

Quote:
Anyone else not getting notification emails of PMs?

I'm still getting mine Kel... including this morning

Posted by candj 23 September, 2008 09:49

Have you checked your spam ? My PMs occasionally get spammed.

Posted by KalamityKel 24 September, 2008 08:13

Thanks candj for the advice but I already thought of that before posting. Just wondered if it was just a glitch or something...

Tis no great deal. Not like I get many private messages anyway (sulks) :p

SeanMac I hope you're referring to private messages winking smiley

Posted by SteveT 26 September, 2008 09:05

What happened to my thread on Barclays banking?

--------------------
dickensman

Posted by Administrator 26 September, 2008 09:09

It is in the Lounge because it is about Barclays banking, it is not an East Dulwich specific issue or gossip.

--------------------
The Administrator

Posted by Keef 06 October, 2008 10:51

On the home page there are no red "new"s next to each section, both using firefox and my mobile opera mini. Is it just me?

Posted by Administrator 06 October, 2008 11:18

It is not just you, we are currently having server issues (the forum is using up too much server power or "load") so we are investigating what elements can be turned off to reduce the load otherwise we may have to upgrade the server which costs. We will try and keep disruption to a minimum.

You can still see which messages are new when you go to the listing page e.g. [www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk] but having to count exactly how many messages are new and then show everyone their individual number of new messages is quite an effort. And remember most people do not read all messages so their new message count is in its 000's which has to be done every time they go to the home page.

--------------------
The Administrator

Get Fit with GokaySponsored link
Posted by Keef 06 October, 2008 11:30

Now don't take this the wrong way, but perhaps all the lounging is not healthy, as it tends to mess up the counts, and you end up with 500 threads and tens of thousands of unread posts in the main section!

*steps backwards slowly*

Posted by Administrator 06 October, 2008 11:47

Unfortunately we have to Lounge threads, rather like pruning a rose to keep it healthy. The fact the counts get messed up is a by-product of that and unfortunately we cannot pay for a programmer to sort it out.

--------------------
The Administrator

Posted by Peckhamgatecrasher 07 October, 2008 06:59

I miss the red 'new' alerts too. This morning my computer isn't responding to the 'jump to' box on top right hand - is it just me? I only discovered that function recently (doh) and love it.

Posted by Administrator 07 October, 2008 07:40

The "Jump too ..." box is working this morning, I think your computer maybe still be asleep.

--------------------
The Administrator

Posted by Peckhamgatecrasher 07 October, 2008 07:43

thanks

Posted by Crona 08 October, 2008 15:02

Hi Admin,

Apologies if you had to deal with this query before. I want to move one post from one thread to another but I am not sure how to do that. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Posted by Administrator 08 October, 2008 17:17

Hi

No problem, you have to ask to have it moved and I will do it for you. You can do that by clicking on "Report This Message" and let me know the reason (if it is not obvious).

--------------------
The Administrator

Posted by Peckhamgatecrasher 17 October, 2008 20:25

Adminyadmin said: "... we cannot pay for a programmer to sort it out."

Is it worth asking on the forum if someone is a programmer and would do it for free? I know absolutely nothing about computers, but if I did I would offer my time to keep something so good up to scratch.

Posted by microbite 13 November, 2008 23:26

Hi there,

How do you upload photos onto threads please, have tried cut and pasting, no joy, the only thing I seem able to do is cut and past the website links, many thanks

Micro

Posted by SeanMacGabhann 13 November, 2008 23:53

hi microbite

do you mean photos from an existing website or local

If it's an existing website, rather than just post the link into the post, click on the icon above (the row of icons that has the smileys? - pick the one next to the Italicise which looks like a mountain and sun)

then post the link in the dialog box

then post a description

Voila

Posted by Keef 14 November, 2008 10:22

Sean's getting muddled up there, it won't prompt you to add a description when adding a photo, you just put the web address in the prompt box that comes up when you press the mountain/sun button, click OK, and it shall add the code to your post.

Then just carry on typing under it.

If you want to link to another site, you click the globe/paperclip button, paste the web address in to the prompt box, click ok, then another prompt box will appear asking you to add a description, for example "Click Here". When you post, you'll get a blue "Click Here" linking to the site.

I think I've just confused myself confused icon

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 40

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum