The Green - East dulwich Road

EDDW

I have just ead a very poor review of this restaurant in the South London Press. Have always wanted to try it but now not sure. Should I give it a go - or is it as bad as the review made out. Slow / indifferent service, poor food, high (relative to quality) prices.

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> just an FYI - IMHO & IMO isn't limited to this

> forum - it's pretty much standard on most internet

> forums (for good or bad)

>

> oh - FYI - For Your Information

>

> edited after looking up a full list of acronyms:

Thanks - I'm just just an old B***** learning the ropes. TTFN!

>

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imho#I

I've always found the food to be good. We took some friends out there and they liked the food too. Haven't been since last Christmas though. It is a bit pricey though for the overall package.

The service isn't great, but it is a lot better than it used to be! I think I remember when the service was really bad and now I have low expectations, so I am always pleasantly surprised now that the service is a little better! When the service used to be really bad, I asked a couple of times for the discretionary service charge to be removed from the bill and they didn't make a fuss which is refreshing.

Hi Frisco, I think I picked up a card from Le Chardon which had details of the Green on the reverse, so presumably they are connected. We love Le Chardon, but would not choose to have dinner in the Green. Having said that, I do rate their hearty English breakfast's, one of the best around IMO.

The Green is a dive, I went in there with a friend who persuaded me, end of last year (shortly before xmas), and was forced to eat what can best be described as mush. The mash potatoes I had were dire, and I wouldnt be surprised if they were made from Smash or some other dry dubious substance. Steer clear!

The last time I was there I had some dodgy oysters and was violently ill for the next 48 hours. Not surprisingly I have been rather fearful of going back there, although I did go to an 18th birthday party there last year and to be honest the food and service left a lot to be desired. I certainly wouldn't recommend it.

Wow Louisa - strong words from one visit - perhaps a little harsh?! I've been a couple of times and I think it rates alongside Le Chardon. The nights where they have live music are great, but is a little overpriced (like Le Chardon). I believe the owners also own the little coffee shop in the village.

i like it for breakfast - but made the mistake of going there for sunday lunch and it was FULL of children running around banging into our table without their parents, or the staff giving a damm. when we very politely complained, the father of the devil children threatened to "knock us into tomorrow" and said we shouldn't go out on sundays if we don;t like children. i don't mind children, but i get a bit put out when they jump up and down while holding onto the back of my chair while i;m trying to eat my sunday roast... would say the clientele there leave something to be desired.... :X