The most important (deceased) person associated with East Dulwich

Thank you Spadetownboy, that's cleared that one up for me. But Louisa, I hardly think Mad Frankie Fraser could be considered important, especially as he is someone who has spent most of his life in prison and was certified insane three times, the man was a violent and dangerous pyschopath, although I'm sure he was very nice to his mum etc etc. I have seen him down the Dog a few times in the past though.

Cor blimey yeah, yer right mate. Better keep a low profile, know worra mean. A nod's as good as a wink to a blind horse, cheers guv. Oooh er...Bob Monkhouse, he's dead isn't he? Well I know for a fact he died on his arse a few times...

Well IMO it has to be Wilde.

A part Irish genius with a taste for cutting satire.

Not unlike yours truly? well apart from the genius bit? and the colourful sexuality? and the coming from a wealthy family thing? In fact I?m nothing like Oscar Wilde. Did I hear someone mention Frankie Frazer?

Ok, I am truly sad. A few weeks ago, when the council posted the booklet "An A-Z of Services in Southwark, I actually kept it and put it on my bookshelf!! One particular entry caught my eye: Blue Plaques.

They want us to nominate famous people, places and events (past and present) who we think deserve a Southwark Blue Plaque (like English Heriatge Blue Plaques, but voted for by us in Southwark!) There is a vote every year for the favourite Southwark icon. They also put up plaques for chosen nominations - they put up 30 such plaques in 2003 when the scheme first started.

How about we submit some suggestions?? Deadline is 31 August. It would mean we would need:

(1) An exact address or at least a rough idea of where any plaque should go

(2) A date

(3) A brief desription of who the person was in case they are unknown to the person at the council doing the deciding.

What do people think?

Blue plaques 2007 - nominations open

Voting for this year's blue plaques will start in September so now is your chance to nominate a person, place or event that you think should be remembered.

Email your nomination here today ([email protected]) or send it in the post to:

Blue Plaques

Southwark Local History Library

211 Borough High Street

London SE1 1JA

Please send your nominations to us by Friday August 31.

The people's plaques

It's true that other councils run similar schemes, and of course there are the famous English Heritage blue plaques, but we believe Southwark is the only borough which allows residents, tourists, history buffs - anyone in fact - to decide who gets the recognition. They truly are the people's plaques!

Down the centuries Southwark has undoubtedly been home to some of Britain?s most famous and influential people and places.

To celebrate them, Southwark Council's blue plaques scheme was born in 2002 giving residents and visitors the chance to decide which local icons, past and present, they want to see remembered with a plaque.

Over 10,000 people cast a vote for their favourite Southwark icon in the first year of the scheme and in the summer of 2003, 20 plaques went up across the borough to luminaries including Michael Caine, Sam Wanamaker (founder of Shakespeare's Globe), and Charles Dickens.

The scheme has been run every year since and now is your chance to get involved.

Contact us

Tel: 020 7525 2000

[email protected]

Blue Plaques

Southwark Council

Southwark Local History Library

211 Borough High Street

London

SE1 1JA

• 3 weeks later...

How about Charles Barry (jnr) for whom the road I dwell is named? although I don't know if he lived here. Michael Faraday, Henry Bessemer, Camille Pissaro, Margaret Thatcher were all involved with ED, but lived close by (Walworth, Camberwell, Crystal Palace, Dulwich). I'm not sure that Dickens ever lived here (mainly Bankside), but his involvement was more with Dulwich Village and the gallery.

Maybe the most important name is Edward Alleyn, who also lived at Bankside but moved to Dulwich (not East Dulwich specifically).

None of this ranting answers the question and perhaps "The most important (deceased) person associated with East Dulwich" surely was the bloke with all the dogs on a hill separating us from Camberwell and the Jenny's (Eclair and Agutter).

RV Jones has to be a strong favourite - see Microban's comment at the start of this thread - he played a seriously major part in our winning World War 2 according to a certain Winston S Churchill. A genuine local ED boy who attended Alleyns before it was an independent school (it was a boys grammar in those days).

• 2 years later...

Can anybody tell me where the 'retirement' home in Dulwich that Lady Thatcher once bought was? Apparently she sold it because it was unsuitable.

Have tried googling and searching this forum but can't find anything. An old telegraph article says that Dennis Thatcher 'Owned a four-bedroomed mock Georgian house on a Barratt homes estate in Dulwich' - any ideas where that would be?