Great Gigs

Keef

Hello Chuff - I've already had my arm bitten off for my spare so it's no longer spare I'm afraid.

I'll PM you my number in case you fancy a drink - I'll be down there tonight by 7pm.

If the support turns out to be the Klaxons or the like then I'll be one of a few hundred people heading for the door.

The thing is, my intel is normally second to none but I'm unable to get this rumour confirmed 100%. At the moment, I fear that the rumour is just feeding on itself. What sort of pedrigree does your intel have?

will pm you my number too, meeting at 7 at brixton sainsbo's!

my info came via promoters but they aren't those that I know well, so just might be rubbish hype. Am going to mail sjm now and see if they know, but they're not handling this gig so not sure if they'll know either!

chuff

In advance of a certain band's upcoming gigs.

In place of the glammed-up young troupers of the early 1970s, all stack heels and tumbling locks, there's a gang of casually dressed, grey-haired fellas in the late stages of middle age. With wives and girlfriends, their party has the air of night-before arrivals for a wedding,

"You can't eat. Well, you can eat, but you can't have a good time. You can't have stuff like English breakfasts. Old habits die hard if you're a frontman: you just don't want to go all fat and horrible. I'm a 32 waist, to this day. Then, I'd have been about a 28, 29."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/sep/03/mott-the-hoople-reunion

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> so? how was it???

Well Sean, it didn't suck.

It was a real kick ass gig. The Academy was completely rammed at 7.30pm and that never happens - seems like word of mouth got round and everyone arrived early for the support. Imagine the riot if some unsigned little baby band had walked on? Anyway, that didn't happen and Them Crooked Vultures played an hour long set - which is basically all the material they have. I was down at the front with my very tall friend - right in front of the barrier just off to the right by the ladies' loos.

They were loud as hell. How is Dave Grohl not deaf? Watching him drumming right up close is an experience in itself. One review I read said something like "Dave Grohl launched an all out assault on his drum kit". That was pretty spot on. He's fast and furious and totally rocks. John Paul Jones is a God and up close I would say he's got a wicked sense of humour - there were a couple of times he seemed to be trying really hard to put the other guys off and was loving every minute of it. I'd never seen Josh Homme before and he looks more like a Welsh rugby player than a rock star - but he was very charismatic.

Brilliant night and I wouldn't have missed it for the world. I didn't hang around for the Arctic Monkeys because IMO they would never be able to follow on from TCV. Most of the reviews of the Monkeys said that the guys had real balls to go on. The Monkeys did get excellent reviews for Brixton but I'm still glad I left when I did.

• 1 month later...

The Cure, Wembley last year. 3 and a half hours non stop.

Jesus and Mary Chain supporting Sonic Youth Hammersmith Palais 1985ish. A wall and a blur to young ruffers as was.

Screaming Blue Messiahs 100 Club (?) 1989 ish, loudest noise I ever heard!

Hopefully The Cult at RAH on Saturday, but I'm not optimistic.

• 1 month later...

Saw Muse last night at the O2. Never seen them before, and they were absolutely awesome!!!

On the negative side, I was having my first experience of watching a gig from a corporate box, and it was just weird! Felt like I was at the opera, I didn't feel part of it at all.

O2 is a horribly Americanised place, and unless it's a gig I really really want to see, I won't rush back.

Hey all

First of all I have to say I dont even know what gig means but it sounds like just what I need after some painstaking exams that I will be finishing soon.

Can some of you GIG experts tell me what would suit me if I write down what sort of things I like normally,sorry for being a bit clueless but hope some one can help me here.

I love music from bands like U2,Kasabian,Metalica,Nirvana,Guns n Roses,Aerosmith,Eagles and many more,Basically anything but non POP .So I think I am sort of a Rock person.

I will be free as a bird ( sort of When the little one is in bed) after 27 the November and would love to go out and have some real fun,but there has to be a place that I can dance a bit too.

Can anyone help please:)

Cheers

Sam

as arena venues go, the 02 is much much better than any of the alternatives....the prince gig there was one of the best, also saw stevie wonder there

but my favourite 'gigs' of all time:

public enemy- electric ballroom 1988, and funnily enough the 20 year anniversary of nation of millions at brixton last year

radiohead- glasto 1997 & 2003

arcade fire- glasto 2007 and brixton 2007

pete doherty in his flat 2004

grizzly bear and the LSO at barbican a couple of weeks ago

wilco at the forum last week

de la soul at the jazz cafe 2008

arctic monkeys at the jabez clegg, manchester june 2005 (astonishing gig, as was the nirvana club in wigan and soul tree in cambridge and astoria all later that tour/year)

sonic youth (daydream nation playback) at the roundhouse 2007

pixies (doolittle playback) at brixton 2009

patti smith at roundhouse 2007

prince @ 02 2007

the sonics at the forum 2008

willie colon at the roundhouse 2007

i reckon these were all great gigs

Just back from a weekend in New York where I was lucky enough to attend two of the best concerts Madison Square Gardens has ever seen. Bruce Springsteen performed the whole of 'The Wild The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle' on Saturday night and the whole of 'The River' on Sunday night. In over 30 years of concert going not seen anything to match the energy & intensity of those two nights.

E Street Shuffle