That new gym that's opening on Lordship Lane

Guest Curmudgeon

Ahh no! I would not pay ?80 to get my hair coloured, I go to Boots and pay ?4. Nor do I pay through the nose for a drink, for me going out is a treat, I don't get a stockbrokers wage either, infact MOST people do only earn up to ?18,000 BEFORE tax, it is after all us little people that keeps the country running so yes I do begrudge spending a fortune on a membership, I used to go to PUSH but ?10 per session was just killing my pocket, we do need to do about 4/5 days of exercises a week, that would work out to be ?50 a week, which is ?200 a month, that is a lot of my wages gone!

I want prices everyone can afford not just a selected few.

I for one agree with ednerd's comments. The reason you can buy clothes cheaply at Primark is not because they sell everything at a loss, it's because they are poor quality clothes made in a sweat shop in Thailand (or the like) by someone being paid less in a year than even those earning ?18k/pa in the UK get paid in a DAY. By shopping at these places you are just being ignorant ("better them than me!"). At esph I would say any one of their customers will expect high quality service and expertise. At Fusion I don't think many do.

I would rather deal with a grad student being guided by Elizabeth and Max than a "fitness expert" at Fusion any day. I'm not necessarily saying that esph will be paying their staff top dollar (they are mostly grad students after all) but the level of expertise in that place appears as if it will be very high. They wouldn't have survived in posh Harley St for all those years if they couldn't justify their prices.

The moral of the story is: You get what you pay for.

If you can't afford it then stay at Fusion, or run around the park (free!). If you can afford it; then before you make up you mind about whether it's too expensive and a rip off, join up and see for yourself. There may actually turn out to be a genuine reason for paying all that extra dosh. I'm going to as I'd prefer to know first hand. If it's not worth it you'll all be sure to hear my opinion on here in a few months. From experience, the only gym I've ever belonged to that gave me really good results was one that cost a fortune. Why? Because I finally had the motivation to actually go (I'm not just going to throw all that bloody money down the toilet am I).

Oh and S30 it's a pretty low blow to affiliate someone with the gym just because they speak about it in a positive light. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, including ednerd and you. I like East Dulwich Deli - does that mean I'm on the take?

In ED you'll have the choice of Fusions, Dulwich Hamlets gym, a run in the park etc, etc and now a new gym. I see that as a good thing i.e the new gym's not taking anything away from anyone.

And no, I'm not connected to the gym, never been there, never met the owner, doubt if I'll join as there's no squash court and am already a member of Fusion (but that pis*es me off but that's another story). In fact the new gym may take people away from Fusions meaning it's quieter. Result!

For the record, I have no connection whatsoever to this gym and was principally referring to the gym instructors/ fitness experts that are meant to be in the gym offering people advice on a variety of health related matters, and prescribing exercise programmes, despite only being qualified in Exercise 101 (as opposed to class teachers, who are normally self employed and you can therefore often find decent ones in even 'budget' facilities).

All I am saying is be very wary of taking advice from individuals with only a base level of qualification, particularly if you have a injury or any other health issue - if you're fit as a fiddle it doesn't really matter where you go, but some people do need more guidance and care, and a facility such as this seems to be MUCH better equipped to offer appropriate support for those who need (or just want) it and have the means to pay for it. Unfortunately, it stands to reason that the best qualified instructors are not likely to be employed by the cheapest facilities.

And by the way, every time I have been in Fusion, there has been a distinct whiff about it.

I agree with EDnerd - people do pay a lot for some things and next to nothing for others. Think about how much you spend on eating out per month in ED and beyond - I bet in the main it totals way more than ?80 - I know it does for me. But I would be reticent to pay ?80 for gym membership as I have a free on at work and don't even use it!

Mark Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> In ED you'll have the choice of Fusions, Dulwich

> Hamlets gym, a run in the park etc, etc and now a

> new gym. I see that as a good thing i.e the new

> gym's not taking anything away from anyone.

>

you forgot JAGS which has loads of facilities

Also, the fee is ?59 if you want off-peak, so it's not fair to bandy ?80 around as if it is the only option. Ednerd has a point, in that some people spend a lot on food, drink and clothes yet baulk at ?3 a day for a gym. Likewise, I can see that others don't have that kind of money to throw around, in which case I suggest running in the park and a swim at Dulwich Baths, or Fusion. Nero

If you have had knee surgery or suffer with back pain like myself, after physio sessions you need to be supervised with your rehabilitation to make sure your heading in the direction (prevent any further injury)and look towards a speedy recovery. It's your choice where you go! running in the park after surgery maybe difficult....... It's your health! and you should look after it. Es Physical Health seem to be getting a hard time on here, just for expanding their business which has been running a number of years. I wish Es Physical Health all the best and keep up the good work! (tu)

Well put spangles, Dulwich leisure centre and london fitnes network, over 80 gyms and 50 swimming pools costs me ?45 a month, I get to use gyms in town like The Gym, Covent Garden, Oasis (open air pool), Covent Garden and the Central YMCA, Tottenham Court Road as well as local Fusion run clubs, great value. If only Brockwell Lido was included! ;0)

Thanks! Brockwell Lido IS included in our Fusion membership, andy. At least I am 99% certain it is.

http://www.fusion-lifestyle.com/

I may be wrong.

Anyway, there are obviously loads of people on this forum who are quite happy to pay for this new gym, and it is nice they can afford it. I am leaving the area anyway to go live somewhere more affordable, albeit less 'trendy'. How downmarket of me. :(

I can't afford it but it doesn't bother me it exists - they seem to be trying something different and good luck to em I say

If you can afford Fusion membership then there are many people who would say they can't afford that and be sniffy about it as well

I like the fact that I can have a slice of toast in a caff or pay stupid money for afternoon tea in the Ritz should the opportunity arise...

Tea, bread and exercise all cost next to nothing ultimately - it's the fact that we choose to consume them that creates such places. If people can afford more expensive luxury goods (after they have paid the amount of tax I would levy ;-) ) then fair play

• 3 weeks later...
I called in to the new gym recently to find out about yoga classes. Classes are open to non-members as well, pretty pricey though at (I think) ?16 per class. This is more expensive than established yoga studios like Triyoga etc (!). So maybe they will be really good. The guy I spoke to was quite disparaging when I asked about Astanga yoga - I can't recall his exact words but it was along the lines of "we don't do that kind of yoga here". There really was no need to be patronising, even my partner (who has no idea about yoga whatsoever and wouldn't know his hatha from his iyengar) felt affonted by his tone. I didn't even know yoga snobbery existed before now. Hopefully this guy was just an inexperienced employee, but really, customer treatment is so key here. They have potentially lost one or two new members.

Yup. And so is Icepick Headache (which I had once and that's what the neurosurgeon called it).

To keep it on topic, I went into the ESPH and had cordial and polite service from the man there. I'm going for look-see this arvo. Nero

I went for my assessment on Saturday and was really impressed, have to go back next week for them to do a programme. It's quite a long process but I'm hoping it will motivate me to go! The class timetable is good- haven't been to any yet but will let you know.

• 3 weeks later...
It seems to me that this place is suprisingly low profile. It would be easy to walk past and not realise it's a gym at all - the esph sign (or whatever it is) on the side wall looks more like a building notice posted by an architect. Was there some restriction that prevented them from putting the word "Gym" or some such in big letters? Compare it with F*xtons, which so garishly screams its name at the other end of the strip.

I'm a member and am loving it, so far it's early days yet in terms of judging if the price is worth it, but the program they have put together for me is like no other gym I've ever been to. This is a gym that tailor's your program not only to your goals but to the way your body mechanics work and any deficiencies it has (i.e. flat feet, slouching, dodgy knees etc). The initial bio-mechanical assessment is clearly a cut above any other gym. You really know you're dealing with professionals here, not just minimum wage earning gym "instructors". It's quite extraordinary what a difference it makes.

I can only measure whether the price is worth it by the results I get from being a member, but early into the membership it's clear that this place has something extra to offer and I am definitely getting results already. I still struggle with knowing what I'm paying each month, but if the results come then you can't put a price on that. So what if I have to miss out on a few pints each month to pay for it (probably a good thing!).

The best thing about having become a member so early is that the member base is still low (though growing quickly) so when I do classes the ratio of instructor to student is very low and you get a very personal service. So my recommendation to you all is STAY AWAY (then I can have the place to myself!) ;-)

Buzzard Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> "This message was brought to you by Bassano Street

> Ripoff Gymnasium Enterprises Limited"

Buzzard; such a clich? to claim that positive feedback about a business left on this forum can only possibly have been written by the owner. Haven't you got anything original to say?