The Barry Barry Road Race 2011: Date Announcement - Saturday 23rd of July

david_carnell Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I would aim for sub 6 mins to win. That would

> include both drinks.

>

> Considering a 4 min mile is a pro standard and you

> have to down two drinks, I think the Barry Barry

> runners are a pretty impressive outfit.

Is it not 2 drinks at either end i.e. 4 in total? Sub 6 minutes is very impressive if it's true. Are spillages taken into account? Sounds like this should be Britian's legacy to the Olympics. A new event.

One pint and one shot at each end does indeed make 4 in total.

And strictly speaking it's 0.9 miles not 1.

But I still reckon you need to be aiming for below six minutes for a win. Drinks in under 20secs. 5mins 20secs for the run.

The winner for the first two years was a semi-pro marathon runner who used to sprint the whole thing at a frightening pace to give himself time to leisurely sip a pint at the end.

I will be comfortably mid-table.

Okay obviously need to get in training - saw the video and seeing those pints left out in the sun at the Clockhouse getting warmer by the second would be all the incentive needed for a run- er, brisk walk down the Barry.

Good to see the chat building for this years event. With a 100% attendance at the Barry Barry Road Race thus far and competing for the 4th year, David_Carnell is the official archivist fir the event and he holds the annals. He is correct in that the winner in 2008/09 was a mere blur down Barry Road. Ladies champ in the modern era has been sub 9 mins. This year with the ladies footy team, and the work outs that have been undertaken by that posse, I would like tae think a sub 8 mins is possible. The 2009 ladies champ is taking part this year and is keen to lift Barriet this year......

Its coming home, the bears are coming home.....

The sun always shine on race day and my speed work is improving....

Lasers set tae malky. CHARGE!

• 2 weeks later...

To be clear - I come in peace and I'm not challenging the uber-barry masters Help-ma-boab and SurfBobby. However...3pm strikes me as a late kick off time. Given last year's event actually got underway well over an hour after the official start time I'm concerned this year's race wouldn't start till nearer 5pm somewhat mitigating against the family friendly nature of the day (my kids go to bed at 6!)

I appreciate our uber-barry masters will be getting up to hi-jinks with Andy Murray's shoes the night before but any chance the start could be moved earlier?

Jamma. We are on it. 3pm will be the gun. Just working out what tae do wi folks that turn up 5 mins afore the off and expect a pint and a hauf at the other end. Don't panic, me, bob and the tennis boys will be on hand fae noon. Guidlines issued before that. The barry gun goes aff at 3. CHARGE

• 4 weeks later...

Of Course Vilmos, you can - but you'd be only cheating yourself.

However the Co-Organiser Help-Ma-Boab did exactyly the same thing last year, much to the disgust of all the hard working and even harder drinking competitors.

Perhaps you could go for the alternativen option, also employed by HMB on the first year, drink your drinks at the Plough, amble down in a gentile fashion to the clock house and never actually finish your shot - therefore still be in the race 4 years later.

There is no time limit to complete, so take full advantage I say.

A fair few of this years runners and riders are all just back from a fabulous few days in North Italy's Trieste Traing Camp and I must admit, it looks like there could be a requirement for a photo finish this year.

Can't wait friends, see ya at the starting line...

Surfbobby

aka Barry Barry Bob

The Curry Club will be represented, very much in a static mode, I will be at the finishing line welcoming in the runners and riders.

I trust we will have representation from the canine residents, as we did last year? That caused no end of fun.

Do we have Barriet back? The bears are actually Berlin bears and are feckin' expensive! A ridiculous 60 Euros for a Barry sized bear. I have a tiny Berlin bear from my last trip - we need to think who we award it to, 6cm tall and cost 15 Euros.

Vilmos Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I am getting perilous close to seventy and I have

> a dodgy foot. So, can I just do the pint and short

> at the Plough, catch the bus down Barry Rd then do

> the pint and the short at the Clockhouse?

Recent evidence showing Vilmos waiting for bus in early BRR.

http://www.ideal-homes.org.uk/__data/assets/image/0003/356601/barry-road-00631-350.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

With just over 3 weeks to go till race day and Surfbob and myself will be away bulking up on bar snacks for a bit. As always we never know how many will turn up. It could just be us 2 having a pint and thundering down to the Clockhouse but last year saw a great turnout. This year Ladies Football Team, Curry Clubbers and pubcrawlers all welcome. Elite athletes and beginners will be made most welcome.

Both the Plough and Clockhouse are laying on outside bars and food as well as a meal for 2 as prizes. Thanks. Stationmaster Barry has laid on a Barry prize and will be on hand to award the Barry Bears to this years champion athletes.

We are aiming to get the Barry Gun to go off at 3pm sharp. Good sport can be had for spectators at the plough prior to the off as Barry Runners go through a series of warm ups. We will be at the Plough from noon taking on the neccessary fluids to avoid dehydration related cramp as well giving sage advice on success strategies (not starting at noon is one but we never learn!). Seasoned campaigners generally take 10 mins so expect the contenders to be approaching the Clockhouse from 3.10pm as they jostle for postion for the all important final transition phase.

If you would like drinks organised for you at the Clockhouse we need to have your names and pint and choice of shot/short by 2pm at the latest to enable us to have these ordered and poured and waiting for you.The Barry Administrator will be on hand to co-ordinate and any other helpers at the Clockhouse would be appreciated. 50 plus pints take a bit of time to sort out. We ask for ?10 for this and the change left over goes to charity. Last year ?150 went to the MS Society. Runners sort their own pint (half for ladies if they wish) and short/shot at the Plough and if they wish of course can arrange their Clockhouse drinks themselves.

Last year Rufus took us through a warm up drill 10 mins before the off and hopefully he will be on hand again this year.

Finally, its a great day and sun shines but pedestrians do have right of way and runners should adapt their style accordingly, and when approaching junctions!

Hope to see you at the start line and the finish.

Lasers set tae malky!.....CHARGE....

• 2 weeks later...

A question please.

A friend of mine would dearly like to do the race. She is disabled with Parkinsons and walks with the aid of a stick. The walk from one pub to the other is simply not do-able for her - let alone the run. She has absolutely no problem with consuming alcohol, however! I, on the other hand, can do the run/walk/crawl but am not able to drink the requisite alcohol in the short space of time required.

So, would it be possible for us to both enter the race BUT, with her doing the bulk of the drinking and I doing the run/walk/crawl? We would both pay our entry fees so the charity wouldn't lose out. Could we? Please?

Plan is to get the Barry Gun to go off at 3pm. As it takes time for drinks to get ordered we need the names of those that want drinks sorted for them at the Clockhouse by 2pm at latest to give us time to set them up at the finish. Last year 51 pints and shorts/shots were required and this delayed the start as we underestimated how many would turn up. It took a while to arrange that amount of pivo (and clockhouse almost ran out of glasses, they are prepared this year).

Runners arrange their own weapons of choice at the Plough.

We are aiming to be at Plough early to be on site to welcome runners and spectators from noon but usually folks start arriving from 1 upto the time the gun goes off. If you are arranging your own drinks at the Clockhouse then so long as you are in postion for 3pm with your Plough drinks then thats fine.

Warm ups in the Plough are advised but each "athlete" adopts their own approach to tackling the challange. Me, usually by the time the gun goes of, I dont know if I'm going for a sh*te or a haircut!

See you at the start.