Postal Service in ED

Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> 2 small parcels posted to me last week first class

> .. one on Tuesday, one on Wednesday ... absolutely

> NO SIGN YET!

Agh! Mrs Landellite and I were just discussing how shockingly arbitrary the post has been here recently - some things arriving next day, others (mostly parcels) taking over a week. What on earth is going on? It's been like this for the last month or so, since the strike.

The post is truly rubbish in this area, if not everywhere. Last week I got two letters from the same sender on the same day that were posted two weeks apart. The second was a threat beacuase I'd ignored the first. It crossed my mind as I spoke to the sender (who was quite understanding), that I was lucky I'd received wither of these letters at all, ther ebsing so much mail going missing - in all directions - these days.

Before complaining, I think we need to know whether the new delivery times are the expected times, or whether we are being diddled. Since they got rid of the second post and did other restructuring, perhaps we are meant to get mail later in the day. Whether this is waht we'd like or not is a different matter. I made a point of telling the man at the Sylvester Rd office that we had had later deliveries and he said that this was to be expected now that the second delivery is no longer with us. Nero

I'm glad that it's not just me having problems with the post! The service is DIRE! I subscribe to a magazine and since the strike it's either not turned up or I receive each week's copy weeks and weeks later! I've been in contact with the subscription office but they say it's Royal Mail, I've actually now changed my delivery address to me here at work as the mail in Central London seems better.

I wanted to complain on Saturday when I went to the Sorting Office to pick up something that had been sent by special delivery but the queue was ridiculous and it was clear that the office was understaffed and the guy wouldn't have been very receptive too me.

I've also had post go missing, I am still waiting on a CD that was sent normal post at the beginning of November ... last I see of that I guess ... :(

Does anyone know where we complain?

Good points Nero

pearcesa: I was in the queue on Saturday and at least 2 people were having serious bother in front of me. You weren't the mum with the 2 little 'uns in, um, "fine voice" were you?

I didn't catch what the problem was - I know one guy didn't have a delivery card and the mum had thecard but not proof of ID or something?

The Q was massive but it's only going to get worse between now and Christmas. If I have to go down I am talking every piece of ID I have so there is no going back

Since the strike my post has been all over the shop but I've not lost anything. But I don't blame the posties - I think management are being way too heavy handed on the issues and handling it badly (which isn't to say I agree with all of the posties old-school practices by the way)

If you think the post here is bad you should read the thread about it on the SE1 Forum. My gripe is the time of day when things are delivered, and where they are left sometimes. The other night I came home after dark, we don't have a proximity light, and I saw one parcel stood on end in the 'porch' only because it was too big to miss; but I didn't see the other one because it had been tucked under the doormat. Amazon very nearly sent me a duplicate delivery as a result, fortunately I found the parcel in the morning and was able to cancel the duplicate.

Ha ha! Yes, we are always getting 5 or 6's post - strange when we live at 7. Clearly, the post people of SE22 can't read!

Nero - I wasn't the lady with the children, I actually kept quiet, as I knew if I said something I'd get nowhere. I did pick up a card of Royal Mail Customer Services to ring, but not sure I can be bothered to call, to not get anyway!

Oh yes, thank you, only now do I realise how eager I was to spill my guts about Royal Mail! Excellent group therapy. But is this really a local thing or is it Royal Mail in general? I've had a horrible experience with mail since I moved to the UK in 2006. I first moved to Crouch End and had issues there too, but it does seem a lot worse here. Letters arriving 6 weeks after posting, magazines being 3 issues behind and cheques not showing up, you name it. I don't care whether it arrives at 9am or at noon and even a day's delay is acceptable, but more than a week is just a joke.

Ok, enough complaining now.. if this is local, can we do something?

I recieved a recorded delivery item posted on the 4/10/07 today and last week i had 3 items which i was meant to sign for dumped on my door step without them being signed for, this has happened a few times in the past also

the postal service in ED is rubbish.

It's the worst postal service I've encountered in a long time. Doesn't usually arrive until midday, we ALWAYS get our neighbours post and have to redeliver it, despite telling the postie on numerous occasions the difference between the 2 addresses (they are on opposite sides of the street).

I'm still waiting for a book which was dispatched on 02/11 and a DVD box set dispatched 1 week ago. Never have a problem with credit card statements and bills arriving but the fun stuff such as books, dvds and games all seem to take forever.

Also, quite often find a card left for parcels when I have been at home at the time of delivery.

Slack and Lazy, methinks.

I've been waiting for 19 days for a book to turn up (that should have taken about 2) and various records and cd's that were ordered and dispatched ages ago. We are on Dunstans Road and the post finally turned up today at 2.45pm - just bills and a subscription magazine that should have turned up about 4 weeks ago! When we called the Royal Mail they had a message saying they were two weeks behind due to the strike but to be honest I think the post has been awful for ages. We've had loads of things go missing (the hassle of getting the Royal Mail to sort that out is another matter entirely!!) and it seems to be turning up later and later every day. If anyone could come up with an idea to collectively do something then I'm sure we'd be on board. Just awful not having a postal service you can rely on. Am also going to try the postwatch details that batdog posted.

My post always comes between 12 and 2, for a few days it was arriving at 4 pm!

It is always shoved in the letterbox upstairs to my neighbours, as the post man obviously cannot be bothered to walk the few steps downstarts to put it through my door!

I have had 2 debit cards go missing and a parcel was apparently delievered and signed for on the 1st, but no sign of it, all the neighbours say the don't have it!