EDF Cinema

mockney piers

Actually, I have been meaning to see that Jesse James one with Bradley Pith.

Here are a few I enjoyed recently:

Death Note 1&2 - manga inspired supernatural thriller, probably aimed at a younger audience, but I liked it

Bothersome Man - good if you fancy some surreal Norwegian bleakness

Cube - good if you fancy some daft Canadian sci-fi

Room For Romeo Brass - I actually preferred this to Dead Man's Shoes, some hilarious moments before it gets more sinister

Oh, and to those of you who said that Donnie Darko was rubbish... I watched it again the other night, just to check... and yes, you're definitely wrong. There is a sequel in production, although the cast looks a bit ropey this time.

Jeremy - I haven't seen any of the films on your list but I'll look out for them.

Definitely get the Jesse James film; there's even a cameo from Nick Cave. Very slow paced; nothing happens quickly.

I fell in love with Brad Pitt when he was the hitchhiking cowboy in Thelma & Louise. I would hit the breaks real fast if I saw Mr Pitt with his thumb out.

I'm not sure whether I'm looking forward to the Darko sequel... the original writer/director is not involved. If the new guys understand the original film, they could possibly make something enjoyable based around a similar premise. On the other hand, they might make it all way too literal. Or even worse, make a run-of-the-mill teen horror with a scary bunny rabbit.

• 3 weeks later...

following on from a raft of rave reviews when it first hit the screens, i decided to watch donkey punch over the weekend.

not much to say about it except, it felt like watching an omnibus edition of hollyoaks.

flashy,trashy, with some quite unsavoury characters and not a lot of substance, obviously made to the standard formula.

Not hear of Amazing Grace Keef, cheers for the heads up

Re: Donkey Punch - I saw the reviews but having watched Winstone jr in Dead Set I thought about giving it ago - will wait for TV

Popped along to Dulwich Paradiso last night to see The Orphanage - my expectations were high but weren't quite met. Felt it lost it's way half way through and the resolution annoyed me

On the plus side, Dulwich Paradiso seem to have found a nice home upstairs at the Magnolia - I just wish their seasons were longer as by the time I go, I think I'll pop along next month only to find they have stopped

• 2 weeks later...

Went to see Waltz with Bashir at the weekend.

I thought it was very good. I realise it's been controversial from two points of view, some people feel it unfairly criticises Israel, whilst others feel it understates Israel's complicity in the Sabra and Shatila massacres.

I don't think it's either of these, it's a well made, very honest autobiographical semi-documentary account of a man who's trying to look into his past and understand where his psychological trauma was rooted as a young draftee.

Not going to be everyone's cup of tea by any stretch, but worth a watch if you think it might be.

• 2 weeks later...

An oldie but goodie.

Mrs Keef's dad leant us the DVD of 12 angry men, and old B&W film about 12 jurors in the jury room, 11 of whom are convinced of a guilty verdict, and 1 of whom who tries to bring them round. Done more or less in "real time", it's edgy, and very good.

Really enjoyed it, proper good old school film making and acting!

• 1 month later...
Absolutely agree that Hotel Rwanda is highly recommended. If you want a more uplifting/upbeat film for your list Kells, then "A Good Year" with Russell Crowe should fit the bill - perhaps a bit self-indulgent, but I could not stop smiling all the way through when I saw it.

• 1 month later...
Finally ended up watching "In Bruges" this week, it having been sitting on my bookcase for ages in its Lovefilm packaging. A decent film. Really enjoyed the way the director juxtaposed the dark humour and the shocking violence with some stunning, brooding shots of Bruges. Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson make a surprisingly good double act.

cracking show watched it on release and again on sky, last week, good old performance from ralph.

watched the boy in the stripped pyjamas, last night. its just about watchable, but totally unbelievable, very poor film considering the reviews it had.

citizenED Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Finally ended up watching "In Bruges" this week,

> it having been sitting on my bookcase for ages in

> its Lovefilm packaging. A decent film. Really

> enjoyed the way the director juxtaposed the dark

> humour and the shocking violence with some

> stunning, brooding shots of Bruges. Colin Farrell

> and Brendan Gleeson make a surprisingly good

> double act.

This was an awesome film!!! Farrell and Gleeson played off each other very well.

There are tons of good films. My favourites are.

Leon-pass the kleenex('This is for Matilda')

The colour purple-Pass the kleenex several times over.

The railway children- Classic.

Heat.

Night of the living dead. Dawn of the dead.

The Omen.

Harvey.

Watched Babel on DVD, really enjoyed it.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched King of Kong at chez SMG last night.

Highly, highly recommend. Think The Office meets Spinal Tap, but without the M in mockumentary, though part of me still finds it hard to believe these were real people.

"Walter Day: I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."

I mean...really?