EDF Cinema

mockney piers

Keef Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I am well aware that I am in a vast minority with

> Withnail, which is why I keep telling myself that

> one day I'll suddenly love it...

you,re not mate, its fcuking shite with a capital crap. as for this is england its not much better, i expected a lot more from meadows espicially following the excellent dead mans shoes, but to be truthful not a great deal happens and it depends far too much on its nostalgia value to be a hit,its basically a poor mans quadrophenia of the 80s. for the fans of korean cinema out there look out for a film available on dvd called r-point very very good ,otherwise my recommendations for the week are zodiac,the counterfeiters and days of glory a ww2 based french film available on dvd.

Wenders golden period was his road movies of the 70's and 80's and really, really, really if you haven't seen Alice in the Cities, go see it. The atmosphere of the film is completely intoxicating. Agree about 'Until..', but most artists make their best work towards the beginning of their careers when they're less self-aware and conscious of trying to please their public(s).

Withnail is one of my favourites - naturally its one of the two dozen or so films that make it into my top ten of all time list (er, is that correct Citizen, Admin)

Thought Bourne no 1 was ace, but others have been pants especially the last one. (Am I getting old or was that volume just too damned loud and that cameraman had the cold-turkey jitters, had he not been taught tohold the blasted thing steady!)

Another in my top ten has to be The Pianist. No not that over-hyped Jane Campion thing - the Piano - but the superb one set in Poland during WW2. The whole world just drifts away from around the main character and it includes some lengthy passages without any dialogue. Haunting and heartfelt, tense and unique, it is one stunning film.

point of order - if like me you often have to speed-read threads, it is so much easier to pick out the film titles if you follow Keef's lead and enbolden the titles, italicise them or at least put in the Capital Letters. :-S

Ooh yes, Pianist, excellent excellent film.

I remember seeing Human Traffic at the cinema on a date, and we laughed our heads off. I saw it again a couple of years later and have to agree with asset, it made me cringe in the extreme.

I was involved in a very minor way with its sequel, It's All Gone Pete Tong (not straight sequel obviously, but the two were meant to be bookends to the dance scene by the film makers) and even though I know some of the people involved, who are local and possibly reading this, am sad to say that it's pretty rubbish too, though it has it's moments. sorry

SW9 was alright as it goes, not great but not bad.

'fraid I did not like Luhrmann's (sp?) Romeo and Juliet, though I have to admit I hardly gave it a chance, only getting through about 15 mins before switching off, (there's patience for you) BUT I loved his Moulin Rouge to bits and could wax lyrical about it 'til those proverbial cows come home...which is kinda amazing since, as a genre, I detest Musicals as much as I dislike Country and Western Music.

i like this thread .......the last two bournes are the best i reckon mr greengrass took ove the directing baton

i am a big wim wenders * fan hence my wings of desire one of my top movies am also a big alan rudolph fan back in the day ....he worked lots wirh mr altman but did his own outlandish tales ie trouble in mind equinox and dorothy parker and the vicious circle ........sorry film bore .....HAS nay one seen one film i loved ... the ballad of the sad cafe ?

or even a film called 'map of the human heart ' i feel as if i made em up theyre so un mentioned ever

see also beuna vista social club he did and yes ry cooder amazing {chicken skin music anyone ?}

I haven't seen the 3rd Bourne yet but loved the first two (althoug much as I like Greengrass, the 2nd film didn't feel as "right")

Films that stand a chance of repeat viewing in MacGabhannTowers this Christmas

Beautiful Girls - fantastic ensemble film by the late Ted Demme

Before Sunrise/Sunset

Fight Club (it was so not the film I was expecting/dreading)

Bad Santa - seen that one about 10 times already and it's only been out a couple of years

Recently enjoyed London to Brighton, The Prestige, Pan's Labyrinth, Breakfast on Pluto

luddite Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

.....HAS

> nay one seen one film i loved ... the ballad of

> the sad cafe ?

Yes, I have. It's a very good adaption of the Carson McCullers book. A writer I very much admire but that's for another thread.

great jah lush ....... of course i have the book , i always dread seeing my favourite books filmed in case they for ever sullied by bad casting script etc ...

the piano teachers a funny one as in funny very strange ! with with isabelle huppert . as a masochistic erm piano teacher

any one remeber the lace maker

or amateur

.....american beauty is one film i liked very much .......

the piano teacher was pretty boring as are most of isahelle hupperts films, on the same subject of pianos and teachers, keep your eyes peeled for the page turner, very subtle french story of revenge, stars the same young actress who was recently in a belgian film called l,enfant/the child about a down and out who sells his new born child, pretty disturbing show,

Michael Haneke's new film is coming out in the new year. It's called Funny Games US and it's a frame-or-frame remake of 'Funny Games' which he made in Austria 10 years ago. I saw it at the London Film Festival and it's an absolutely devastating and disturbing piece of work, but gripping and playful at the same time. Transfering it to the US context really works. Check it out if you can.

For an opposing POV on the original Funny Games (haven't seen the remake/photocopy)... I really really hated it. It's patronising, insulting to the audience's intelligence, and pretentious. The director wants to have his cake and eat it: ie he depicts nasty violence throughout and then castigates his audience for watching violent movies. Fine by me, Michael: if you'd rather I never paid to see any of your films ever again, so be it. He clearly has a loathing for his audience and instead of not making films any more, and doing something more useful, he just carries on churning the stuff out for the same middle classes whom he so obviously hates. Without whom, of course, he'd be out of a job. Poor chap.

All that said, I actually thought Hidden was rather interesting (though still packed with self-loathing)...

Human Traffic is indeed well wide of any mark, it's trying to be cool beyond belief, and the 2 main charcters (him from Life on Mars, and the blonde tart) are unbelievably annoying. However, Danny Dyer was very funny in it (even if he over did the mockney), and it always makes me laugh... That said, I don't think I've ever seen it when not stoned! :-S

Tillie, I'm with you on Romeo & Juliet, it is stunning, and the Harold Perrineau, Jr. stole the show as Mercutio, particularly in the scene where he dies!

A film I'm looking forward to seeing is "Ne le dis ? personne" or "Tell no one". It was a novel by Harlan Coben, and when I read it, it was one of those that really painted pictures in my head, and I could see it as a film. Hollywood wanted to turn it in to a big action blockbuster, but the author ended up having it made in France, because the film makers wanted to concentrate on the love story behind it, as well as all the action.

This has reminded me, I saw the best (worst) user review ever on Lovefilm for this.

karin newman from Stanford-Le-Hope , 17th November, 2007

Really diasappointed that i wasted my time having this one sent to me, as there was no indication of this being a sub-titled film! didn't even bother to watch it!!

So why Karin did you then bother to give it 1 star and write this on the internet you fool?!?!?

Yesterday I watched Cocaine Caowboys - a mind-boggling account of the drug trade in Miami in the early 80s. Fascinating. The details about the huge amounts of cash coming in an out of the city are superb, and the fact that there was almost no border control or law enforcement when the major importations started in 1979. A great documentary, if a little fast paced.

And King of Kong. A very anorakish documentary about the world record holder on Donkey Kong and a new upstart trying to take his world record. I enjoyed it.

Charlie