Winter babies club (due Dec 2012, Jan/Feb 2013)

Ramble, that's great, do you have physio experience then?

Yoga - at home have been continuing: (sorry don't know official names!)

- the cat stretch from rounded back to curved

- pelvis 'smiles' where you rock pelvis from side to side standing up

- on all fours, figure of 8s with whole body - apparently good in labour too

- on all fours, lean back onto legs and then stretch onto arms (this one is also on kings exercise sheet)

Physio exercises from kings - there are quite a lot, I could bring along the sheet tonight? A couple of them actually are done lying on the back now I've looked properly at the sheet. Some of them seem to do the same as the ones the private physio gave me but are from seated position instead, eg using fitness ball to do pelvis rocks side to side and back to front. She also gave us a sheet for pelvic floor exercises and explained how to do certain movements without straining like lifting, getting in and out of bed/car.

I'll try not to rely too much on the belt then. It's hard to predict when I'm going to have a really bad night though so it sort of has to be Pre-emptive or I could get up and use it if I wake up and have pain. I think he suggested it as the last time I saw him after a week back at school I was a bit upset and desperate with the pain and tiredness I'd had going back that week!

I think my biggest problem in fact is that I work with 5/6 year olds so it is hard to avoid stooping over them at a table, leaning down from my adult chair to speak to them sitting on floor, or having to sit at a low table when working with a small group. When I'm sitting on the floor with a group I sit astride 3 yoga blocks which is the most comfortable seating position I found from yoga class. I'm considering taking in my fitness ball to sit on in class but it's not really an ideal position from which to make notes and write on a low table!

Hi Tess, sorry I forgot to reply about yoga classes. You need to book in advance and pay online, however you can do this at pretty short notice and I've never not got a place for a class. Look for the Sitaram yoga website or google kings pregnancy physio and on there you can find class times for this area. Then you have to join and login and buy class credits to book the class. You can buy just a one off (?13) or I think a set of 4 or 8 for cheaper to use within a certain expiry, I think some you can even use up to 3 months post birth for mum & baby yoga.

There's a class tonight but obv can't go as I'll be at the pub (!) and this week i can't make the Thursday goose green one, or the Sitaram sat or Sunday one either, so I probably won't make it to one this week!

Everyone I know who's done pregnancy yoga has sworn by it too! I also like the relaxation part at the end and have been using some breathing exercises when I can't sleep or am stressed. Baby seems to like it when I do the deep breathing and relaxation and starts kicking about! Baby also has gone nuts when I listen to my natal hypnotherapy cd!

Xx

I'm an Osteopath ;-)

So slightly different perspective again.

The exercises you mention sound good. NHS physio seems to be giving you good advice.

It's difficult when your job requires bending/stooping. Exercise ball is a great idea. And squatting. Avoid asymmetrical squatting though, as in one knee higher than the other.

I'll talk to you later or I'll pm you.

hi, haven't used EDF before, so hope I'm posting right. I was at the WBC meet up last night and realised this morning to my horror that I think I wandered off without paying for hummus! I am so sorry to whoever ended up saddled with the bill. please PM me and let me know who I owe money to and I'll sort it out asap. I'll try to blame hormones for making me so scatty.

Really good to meet some of you ladies last night - Thanks Dainee for organising and for having the foresight to think about a contacts list!

Hopefully see you all and your bumps again soon before the babies start popping out, and then lots afterwards. Roll on maternity leave...

Sonya

Thanks very much for last night, everyone! I had a great time meeting you all.

While chatting with Sonya, I recommended 'Brockwell Park Massage' as a local place where I'd had a couple of really great pregnancy massages. They were ?20 each as there was an introductory offer - very reasonable, I thought, for over an hour's treatment. Melanie (whose show it is) will be at the Lambeth Country Fair this weekend, in the holistic tent, if you're at all interested:

http://us5.campaign-archive2.com/?u=77a58ce16edebf722ff9ec2d0&id=072d3ad88b

And then later I mentioned Merry-Go-Round, the shop on Half Moon Lane in Herne Hill that sells secondhand children's clothing and also secondhand maternity wear (it's in the back so you wouldn't necessarily notice if you were walking past it).

I promise I'm not on any sort of commission from these places! Just thought they might maybe be useful.

Looking forward to seeing you all again soon,

Sophie

Great to see so many at the drinks on Wednesday. Shame we didn't get to meet everyone but I'm sure we will in time.

Dainee, thanks so much for organising it.

Greeners - sorry you didn't make it. Your physio's seem to have you on the right track but if you have any questions feel free to PM me. Remember ice not heat.

Hope everyone else is doing well. Have people bought much yet?

Hello Ladies,

lovely to meet some of you - So nice that there's so many of us.

I thought it would be good to get another date in the diary so we can all meet up again.

Shall we try for Wednesday, 17th October, 8pm?

I will book us an area at the Great Exhibition on Crystal Palace Road (down the road from the Actress).

Hope that you can all make it!

Hello Ladies,

I gave birth to my daughter in May at Kings as was unable to use the water pool that I bought, it is unused and unopened as we did not get the chance! If anyone would like to buy this from us at half of the original price please let me know and I will let you know all details and extra's that it came with.

Good luck to you all!

Catherine x

hi

i am 20 weeks and 5 days. i am not having my baby at kings as my doctors messed up however my baby is due 1st feb and would be nice to meet other mums to be first and more time round. this is my first and would love to talk to other mums that going through the same things as me. if you all meet up again i would love to come if that is ok. i not going to any classes as my hospital only dose them when i am at work and cant afford to pay for them. i work in dulwich and can do most night or even meet up on a tuesday day as i am a nanny and the little boy gos to nursery on that day.

thanks you

joanna

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I saw that today Tess! I am definitely going to ask my midwife about it. I'm going to ask about the flu jab too because apparently that is quite good to have when your immune system is down because you're pregnant!

Hope the yoga goes well tomorrow. I did my first class last night at Goose Green osteopathic centre, it was good!

I'll most probably be at yoga tomorrow morning, Tess. Not sure how I'm getting there yet as I always end up parking in kings and paying ?5 which is a bit steep. Might see if I can find a space near Denmark hill train station. I wear glasses and use a purply green woven blanket over my yoga mat so look out for me!

How was the class at goose green Drea? I am thinking of trying that one as it is more convenient but I never seem to have the energy after work.

I had a midwife checkup this morning and asked about the whooping cough. I'll have it when I'm 28 weeks (25 now) as I work in a primary school so am prone to picking up all sorts of bugs. However it's made me unsure whether I want to have that and the flu jab too, as it might be a bit of a whack to my immune system. The midwife is going to ask the GP for their advice about having both in quick succession.

Everything else at the check up was perfect, which is a relief as I've had a bit of traumatic week between developing a skin rash (now getting better) and cracking a tooth quite badly. I want to avoid having lots of dental work so am hoping the temporary fix will last until after baby is born.

Will definitely try to make the next meet up. Xx

Oh and a quick question about maternity wear. Has anybody found any nice maternity coats? I'd like something warm, long and that I can perhaps wear post-birth over baby while carrying in a sling. I don't know whether to go for the classic woollen coat or something like a hooded parka which will be a bit more waterproof and means I can deal with rain hands-free while pushing a buggy.

Jojomamanbebe only have one in stock on LL but have a couple online I like. I'm tempted to order both and then return the one I don't like instore. Their clapham store apparently has a bigger selection but I don't fancy trekking out there!

Xx