Winter babies club (due Dec 2012, Jan/Feb 2013)

Hi I am in honor oak park but used to live in ED. I am due December 9th and having the baby at kings. I am originally from Bolton and one of the first of my london friends to have a baby so really pleased to have a local group!!

Allo all,

We are going with the NHS antenatal classes for now but have been told join NCT in the last weeks if you feel you haven't amassed enough 'friends'. NCT also run sessions on Goose Green for new mums and their tots (that are free I believe) during the week so aiming to drop by a couple of those as well when I have time off work. The main thing for us is not really the money side but time; we both still work pretty full on jobs so juggling two sets of classes seem a bit OTT past the 30 week mark but for those with the extra time I say go for it.

Am already the size of a house and only halfway through - this is my first so can't even hold up the it's my second and my insides have given in card....crikey. Will find out next week what's really going on down there at the scan...

Hi there,

I am expecting our second one on 23rd January and with the amazing Lanes as I was with the first one. Our little boy was born at King?s by c-section after almost 24 hours of labour!!!

Reg. NCT class, I would definitely recommend it ? especially those who do not necessarily have many friends in the area. We have been so lucky with our NCT groups and even had a long weekend away last year which was amazing!

Hope the bumps are doing well and hopefully get to meet you girls later on.

Hi everyone,

A friend in the neighborhood told me to check out this thread! I'm due mid-Jan with my first and hoping to meet other new mums in the area. :) I live near Ruskin Park (which is lovely) and I'm having the baby at Kings.

I'm fairly new to the area as I moved from NYC (American) and my husband's English. I've lived in the UK before and I absolutely love it here in SE London.

I love the idea of NCT classes but husband and I are saving money due to dropping to one income, so will need to meet friends the old-fashioned way - I'm signing up for NHS classes.

I hope to meet lots of you at baby groups in the future! :)

Beth x

Hello!

We are having to move out of ED :( not enough space, but have yet to sell our flat. I am going to sign up for NCT classes where we are moving to so I can meet some new mums, but in case we are still here would also like to sign up to some free NHS classes... I am having our baby at Kings (due 17th Decemeber) does anyone have any details about the NHS ones so i can sign up!

Thank you! Sally x

Hi Salsie, correct me if I'm wrong someone, but I think they're held at Dulwich Hospital over a three week period. My midwife said that you have book them through the Kings Antenatal clinic (or ring 0203 299 9000 ext 3246 option 1) and they're every night from 6.30-8.30 and a few ones in the day too. Not sure how they differ from the NCT ones... but they're free so it's worth a go. Kath

Hello!

Can I join you all? I am expecting my first baby, due 9th Feb and it would be lovely to get to know you all! Planning to give birth at Kings and very excited. But also scared! Have already been enjoying reading other posts and getting advice!

My husband and I have lived in east Dulwich for a couple of years (my husband longer actually) but it would be great to make some local friends.

I've signed me and the hubby up for the NCT classes starting on 3rd Jan! But we'll also be doing the free classes, I know there are some breast feeding ones at Dulwich Hospital. Frankly I need all the help I can get!

Hope you are all feeling well. I've definitely got my energy back but am currently struggling with what flaming trousers/jeans to wear now everything is too tight! :-O

Hi all,

I am strictly an Autumn mum-to-be (my due date is November 27th) but, as most of the Autumn club seem to be expecting quite a lot earlier than me and as this is my first baby (so liable to be late), I was wondering whether you'd all mind me joining the winter babies club? I also live closer to Camberwell/Denmark Hill than East Dulwich, but hoping that's not out of the catchment area for this group...

I'm the first of my friends to get pregnant so won't have a clue what I'm doing. Very glad to know that there's a few others locally going through the same thing.

I'm also having the baby at King's. I decided to sign up for NCT classes because these seemed to be universally recommended by anyone I do know who's had a baby. I was quite shocked by how much they cost though. I suppose that this is just the start of the expensive business that is childrearing. My classes start in October and are being held near Nunhead. Not sure yet if I'll also do the free NHS ones - my midwife seemed to indicate that I could sign up for them through her.

Hope you are all feeling well! Would be nice to meet up at some point before the babies arrive if anyone is up for that?

Hi ladies+bumps,

I am expecting baby no2 due 6th Dec at Kings (we already have a three year old, also at Kings in the birthing pool).

Beth, we did not do NCT either first time round partly due to me being the first in my circle of friends falling pregnant and a foreigner (have never heard of them before) and I met great mums once I had the little one, so don't worry, might be a bit harder as you will be tired, but you will be fine!

Bursty, would be great to meet up. What about mid September, midweek, so pubs are not too full, say Wednesday 12th September?

Anybody else interested?

R

Hi everyone,

I'm due my second on 23rd December - hope it's a tad late! I went to these amazing classes by Ariadna, (www.ariadnasole.com) not only a midwife, but also a very lovely woman - so easy to talk to. We were lucky to have a group of very funny sociable couples who we got to know so well due to the atmosphere and conviviality created by Ariadna.

We felt very free to talk about any issues and worries we had, and she provided a full and unprejudiced (unlike some NCT classes from what I've heard) account of the many variations of childbirth. We had such a great time, and none of us hesitate to email her with questions post-birth...indeed, she has an advisory group building right now. We often stayed for a cup of herbal tea (of course,) after class, or anything else that a pregnant lady might be allowed at the very nice Mag. Highly recommended!

This time round I hope I meet even more lovely people who will be as important to me in getting through the next round of maternity leave!

Hi Minnelli,

It's good to hear your very positive feedback on Ariadna as we have just signed up for her course in Oct/Nov! I also found out from my midwife last week that Ariadna works as a King's midwife as well as running the courses so it will be good to have someone with insider knowledge helping us I think!

It's my first so I am excited and terrified in equal measures. Really looking forward to meeting some of you ladies and your bumps/babies.

Hi all,

I just called The Actress and they don't take reservations but said they shouldn't be busy on a Wed night so should be able to accommodate us all. My partner was keen on coming along too, so I was hoping the evening invite could be extended to other halves as well.

********CONFIRMED ********

So please put the following in the diary:

8pm on Wed 12th Sept at The Actress.

Looking forward to meeting you all,