Winter babies club (due Dec 2012, Jan/Feb 2013)

Hi, not expecting a spring baby but I have a some maternity dresses (worn but still in good condition) that I was going to bring down to the charity shop. Free. Size M or 12/14. They are work-type clothes, two quite smart black dresses and one raw-silk skirt (also black). For autumn/ winter.

Please PM if you would like them!

Hi tess,

re antenatal yoga - i go to the push studio (blackwater st, just behind william rose) 7pm Thursday session - it's not cheap at ?12 a pop but the classes are small and fits in with my work for now. you can also get a 10% disc by purchasing class tokens in advance. haven't tried any of the others but believe dulwich therapy rooms run them as well.

good luck,

cams

Thanks for this Cams, I may well give it a try. I am actually going to my first class tomorrow. It's at East Dulwich Leisure Centre and only about ?7.80 a class (I think that ?12 is about average).

The only snag is that it's on Wednesday mornings. I won't be able to go to them every week but I am being super cheeky and going to do this in working hours.

Did you know that pregnancy yoga counts as part of your 'Antenatal care' as it includes relaxation classes and midwifes recommend you do it? It means that legally you're allowed to go in working hours and not have to make the time back.

A colleague of mine was doing this so I thought that I might as well do it as well!

Catch up tomorrow if you're out for mocktails!

Would love come along to the next ed winter babies meet. I am due on the 24th of Jan and would like to meet other mummies due at the same time. FYI went to a really helpful pregnancy physio class today at Kings. They are free and think they send you an invite. Lots of useful exercise to help with aches and pains.

Do keep me posted

Cheers

Lulu

Ramble and Tess, my GP referred me for this class so might be worth asking them. Same GP also referred me to the private physio as I have some private healthcare because at the time I wanted to see someone quickly and try to resolve the pain before I started school term again and I knew I would not be going to the group clinic until today.

Conflicting info was regarding the exercises, massage and a support belt:

1. My private physio has been massaging the affected area (sacroiliac joint which causes me massive hip pain and stiffness every night and stops me sleeping - at night if i get up to go the loo i actually find it very hard to even sit up, stand and walk). This does provide some temporary relief as the whole area is very stiff - today the kings physio said massage will only serve to soften the muscles when they actually need strengthening through exercises.

2. Private physio originally gave me exercises to do on my back, but which i stopped doing as uncomfortable and switched to some yoga exercises instead. kings physio has said avoid exercises on back. Kings physio has given different exercises which I will start doing now as well as yoga.

3. Private physio has given me a hip support belt to wear for nighttime and when standing/walking a lot (which I do a lot of in my job) and this belt really does stop the pain. However - kings physio said to try to avoid support belt use as it only provides an external scaffold of support to muscles/ligaments when actually what you should be doing is the exercises to strengthen your muscles yourself from the inside, so they are strong enough themselves.

So basically I think kings physio approach is to do lots of exercise to build up your strength yourself, whereas private physio is doing more to alleviate the pain mechanically. I think i'll just do a bit of both and try not to become over reliant on the belt. It's hard not to though as it does enable me to have a good night's sleep and when I have to get up early and teach 30 young children all day, I need a good night's sleep! Sometimes by the end of the day I am so stiff I find it hard to walk to my car and then can't start driving straightaway as I have cramps in my toes. I got these while swimming the other day and had to stop.

But the best thing I've done so far is yoga as the exercises have helped my posture and back pain and the relaxation element is wonderful.

Tess, just saw your post about the yoga classes at leisure centre - that's a shame as they're cheaper than others I have found, but anyway it would have been hard to get to as they're during the working day. I've been going to the Sitaram pregnancy yoga classes held at kings and brockwell lido, they have several sessions in the week and weekend. I also want to try out a class from one of the old teachers from dulwich therapy rooms as they're held at goose green which is a bit closer for me. Think both those classes are about ?11-13 depending on whether you Pre-buy several class tickets.

Greeners - cant reply fully now but will later.

I'm sitting between them!

Belts are only good as a short term temporary measure or last resort. I generally don't advise them.

Deep massage I think does help but has to be accompanied by the right exercises. Exercises on your back such as pelvic lifts are fine at this stage if you feel fine.

Yoga is great if done correctly. Which exercises do you have now.

Ok seems like I did reply!