Live in East Dulwich and work in .....?????????

I am also a no. 40 regular but get off at Bank to walk to St Katherine's docks. Or I get the tube one stop to Tower Hill if the weather is particularily awful.

Although unfortunately my firm is moving offices to Chancery Lane soon which is gonna add to my journey time. :'(

Sonners Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Oooh, thanks for the tip Cassius! Are the trains

> quite regular from Denmark Hill to Blackfriars?

There are about 4 trains an hour. Some go all the way to City Thameslink which is closer still.

The number 45 bus goes from Blackfriars to Chancery Lane and is pretty regular, alternatively it is just a 10 minute walk if you exit the station from the correct exit. The exit you want is to head as though your going to the underground, but bear right down the underpass. Go straight ahead through the underpass, leaving by the steps on the right, the bus stop for the number 45 is straight ahead, or you can walk. If you get your timings right you can do the trip in 35 mins :))

Used to work in London Bridge, a total breeze, but now work in Stockley Park, an industrial estate near Heathrow.

For the first year I took public transport consisting of:

Bus to ED/FOH Train station

Train to Lon Bridge

Jubilee to Baker St

Bakerloo to Paddington

Train from Pad to Hayes and Harlington

Bus from H&H to Stockley Park

Twice a day

All in all 2 hours at rush hours and 1.5 hours when all goes smooth, normally the milkmen aren't even up though

It was starting to crack me up, so I drive now

Currently working in Camberwell, but as an essential car user, have to cover a wide range of south london for my job, hence 10-20 mins drive depending on traffic, roadworks, temp.lights etc to office.

Previous commutes - East Sheen - car via Clapham, Putney - minimum an hour.

St. Helier Hospital Sutton- via Mitcham, approx 45 mins - hour.

Job also takes me out of London at times - Hastings, Cliftonville, various parts of Sussex and Essex. Longest journey undertaken for my work was Cambridgeshire and Norfolk which meant that I could claim guest house b & b expenses, and 3 meals allowance plus mileage. Only time in 12 years that have done this. Although a colleague was asked to cover Bodmin Moor and Dorset over 3 days.

Canary Wharf. So near yet so far by public transport. Is is just me or are the public transport links between here and e14 (or anywhere really) the very worst in london? Today I took two hours to get home. It would have been 25 minutes by any road based transport except bus (meandering all over the place!).

ED --> Soho - 30 mins by bike.

Burgess Park - - up through the Heygate Estate -- up through the bus lane to Waterloo bridge - - up through Covent Garden.

Hardly see any traffic.

Beats the 12, that takes over an hour some mornings..

Just got new job in Islington, many possible routes, all very long commute I think, AAAARRRRGGGHHH :))

Walked from Kings Cross for the interview, won't be doing that again, gave me blisters (shouldn't have worn heels :)))

I'd have thought that it was quite easy to get to Islington - train to London Bridge and then a few stops on the Northern Line to Angel?

Although admittably the Northern Line is so hideous that a longer journey might be preferable to avoid it!

Depends what part of islington - you could always get the Northern Line to Moorgate and then the train to Essex Road or Highbury and Islington - easy interchange from the Northern Line and empty trains going out of Moorgate in the morning so guaranteed a seat takes about 45 mins

My work is not even in London, but in East GRinstead!

I travel 3h30 a day. Thats about 827 hours a year (took holidays out!). I spend 34 days every year on transport! depressing thought

There are only a handful of people creasy enough to take the earliest train from ED and Im one of them...

I am not even speaking of how much it costs me!!!

But the job is good :)

Sonners Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'd have thought that it was quite easy to get to

> Islington - train to London Bridge and then a few

> stops on the Northern Line to Angel?

>

> Although admittably the Northern Line is so

> hideous that a longer journey might be preferable

> to avoid it!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I will be travelling around, but will be based in North Road, which is just round the corner from Caledonian Road station, so not very near a Northern Line station ..... there are various ways I could get there, all suggestions as to the least stressful welcome :)

Would rather avoid the train if possible (crowded and expensive) and ditto the tube, but I think the journey would be very very long just using buses ....

The trek from King's Cross was dusty (all that building work going on) and gave me blisters (heels on for the interview :)))

Edit: Have found about a dozen different ways but reckon they all take about one and a half hours, give or take, AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH !!!!! :-S

Am up at the Plough end of ED and work in Old Street. I used to take the 40 to the last stop and then walk it. Nice and cheap but it took aaaaaaaages. Now that Mrs Ant is working too and I need to be quicker about getting back to pick the kids up from childcare I do tube/train. It's faster but costs a lot. Can be slightly nicer, perhaps, when it's not crowded.

Sue: have you considered train from Herne Hill to st pancras (30 mins) then tube one stop to cally road? Shouldn't take more than an hour door-to-door I would think although the change at St P is probably a bit of a treck. Alternatively get train from Denmark Hill/Peckham Rye to Blackfriars and connect with the herne hill one there, or even bus to E&C and connect at that point. I guess it depends where you live.

Or cycle - I do this to near Angel from Peckham Rye and it takes 30-40 mins depending on how energetic I'm feeling - quickest public transport time is 45 mins door to door.