Adventure bar - East Dulwich (Lounged when no longer about same)

James

Correct it would be fairly boring .... but we don't need to worry about that ever happening do we.

Just seems strange that Adventure bar has it's knockers (with good reason imho) and then people get irate about it.

Perhaps Kidda and LEA can highlight the plus points of the place? Perhaps us fogies are missing something .... totally open to having my opinion being changed .. I just can't see anything to make that happen.

So come on .... who's going to sell this puppy to me?

kidda Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> keef, do you mean to say that your not funny?

Not at all, I'm bloody hilarious!

Anyway, this thread is dull now. Basically every bar has people who like it and people who don't. The Bishop is by a mile one of the more popular drinking holes in the area, and yet I think it's horific at the weekends! I am sure people will go back and give +venture another go, and I also think that a lot of people on here are fair enough to come back and post more posative things should they have a better experience next time.

Different folks different strokes.

For the record - I gave it a second chance yesterday

I wouldn't call it rammed - certainly not compared with opening night - but I would say that was a good thing. It allowed a bit of breathing space. It was still plenty busy - People DO like to take a photograph of each other in there don't they?

We stuck with beers this time and didn't stay a long time but the whole place did seem more bedded-in. It definitely has it's place even if that place doesn't include me (that often)

Has something happened to the floor at the far end of the bar - it's raised into a wee pyramid thing?

A drug dealer is making a living also, so I don't follow that logic.

There are absolutely no qualifications required to be an estate agent for one. It's a completely unskilled, unprofessional, unregulated profession dealing with a persons largest expense in most cases (their home). That's just one reason.

Anyway, let's not get into another Estate Agent debate. Firstly it's off topic and secondly, you don't stand a chance!

--------

So, I'm up for trying out Adventure later on tonight after kicking off at The Duke. What time is last orders?

I went there for the first time last night. I actually liked it. A lot. And the crowd was local ED a real mix. What they have done with the space is impressive. I saw some fit girls from Willis B and the guy with the fake tan from Ludlow Thompson. What more do you want?

Went there for the first time today and don't think i will bother going back to waste more money for old rope.

We had two different mojitos and both tasted the same - like toothpasty water, yuk.

The barman was chatting away to me about mojitos while making the cocktails, i asked if he had been to liquorish and said how nice their strawberry mojitos etc were. He said he hadn't been there. This is no surprise, if they had checked out the competition i doubt they would have bothered with their watery cocktails. How can this place seriously call itself a cocktail bar when you can't even taste the alcohol??

Bar story in peckham rye do a great mojito and its cheaper!

Does anyone else think the interior is like a cheap version of locale 'changing rooms' styley? I found the bench area by the window pretty uncomfortable, the table was miles away and really high!

For anyone who is about to go for the first time I recommend taking a hip flask of your favourite tipple.

I went in yesterday afternoon for about 3 hours, my mates (all girls) tried 3/4 diff cocktails and I had a glass of vino. I asked my mates what they thought to the cocktails and they were fine, not too watery but by the 3/4th drink they couldn't taste the alcohol but looked pretty tipsy to me. barmen fine very chatty, we even got to put requests in for music. Toilets clean and fine, seating area good. other folk in there both men and women and although it wasn't very busy it was nice to watch the world go by having a drink.

I would probably try it again as its different to other bars on the lane.

Popped in Sat night for quick drink and to see what the fuss was all about. Very loud music and the place was jumping. Order a beer for me and a mojito for the lady. Oh dear they really do not know how to make a mojito it was soda and mint with some ice. We later went to Black Cherry and they do know how to make one. Still Adventure bar was OK I would probably go back but leave it for a few months.

Went last night and had a good time - good mix of people (more female than male, more on the younger side), and not too packed. Two bouncers on the door appraised me quickly - but wasn't a problem.

Bar men were friendly and attentive - much like the Clapham branch. Empties were collected regularly.

It was the first time I've sat in a bar on L.L and thought that it could have been somewhere else (Balham, Clapham, Battersea, etc if you know what I mean) - maybe the reason for some of the negative comments about this place being generic ?

2 for 1 on cold Peroni's before 8pm was v welcome on a Friday night

yeah, went thursday, great cocktails & strong too!. 3 for 2 deal O.K. if central london prices. Strangely liking the raised seating on the side..

on balance, great place, great addition.

Staff friendly.

perhaps theres too much choice on the cocktail menu?? - it took me aaaaaaaaaages to decide - then the barmans recommendation was great! (passionfruit cocktail)

i think some of the above posts are over critical.

Some intersting points tho, consider this: raised tables so people dont feel like they dont have a seat when they are forced to stand. No beer on tap but the original and great peroni in bottles. Long cocktail menu but staff to guide you through it. Clean and tasetefully (but clearly on a changing rooms budget) decor. Not too rammed, but id hate to be there when it is. Pricey cocktails at the weekends but then no more than if you asked for something on that menu elsewhere.m Is there really any need to question potential customers on the door 9re above post) - i h.a.t.e that (unless they are clearly kids).

I shall return i think as its a welcome contrast to the rest of ED.

p.s., if relevant - there were more ladies than men thursday night.

I liked the Hollyoaks comment, spot on.

Staff worked hard, made a real effort, looked out for people and made sure they were comfortable and were very friendly.

That said, cocktails were very average and a bit samey (wybrovka vodka or havana especial, in everything!?!?) and weren't made with much craft (see acedout(?)'s post regards mojito, again, spot on). on the other hand, 2 for 1 for three hours and I was sure pickled.

Will never be a favourite unless it changes it's tune a bit (and tunes, though there was some clash and talking heads tucked in that playlist somewhere), but best of luck to the lads, I wish them well.

Oh, and there's some pretty darned good prosecco out there if you look for it; infinitely better value for money than champagne, where you need to spend ?25 a bottle absolute minimum to even approach flavour.