Dulwich Hamlet FC

Jamma Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Charlton friendly is July 30. Indeed part of the

> Chris Dickson deal.

> A friendly against Arsenal academy the following

> Saturday which should be good too

Unfortunately I understand the Arsenal Academy game scheduled for 2nd August is now off. It is possible they may find a new date for it. Also off is the match against Fisher on 23rd July because the pitch will not be ready.

So therefore only two home friendlies are still on at present - Charlton on Wednesday 30th July and Sutton on Tuesday 5th August (both 7.45 kick-offs).

Oooh, Sutton Utd used ot be local non-league team from back home.

They've just had a terrible season and got relegated from the Ryman South.

They play in a lovely brown and mustard kit.

Dang, it's when I'm on hols....someone go a shout som abuse at the Sutton players for me!

Living right round the corner from the ground i've still not been after 18 months of "going to."

I hear watching the hamlets is as exciting as the drama of beating Liverpool at home with a last minute winner and then dumping Champions League finalists Chelsea out of the FA Cup (yes i'm a Barnsley fan!).......is it true????

There's also Fischer Athletic at that ground for I think at least another year. Their owner put in the new bar and returfed the pitch and put in sprinklers. Greek shipping magnate I believe. Fischer made the playoffs last year for promotion to Blue Square Premiere (old FA Conference) and just missed out. So its possible for a team playing at Hamlets to bounce up to the Championship in short order if they did a Bristol City! At least there is that dream! If you're tired of forking out 30 quid to see route one football at Palace or Millwall or Charlton (nevermind the more expensive West Ham option), Hamlets is a bargain at 8 quid. And I always say that if you get two evenly matched teams playing each other - even if it is a relegation battle - it can be great. You don't get the "big show" you have in a ground packed with 15,000 plus, but if you love footy does it need to be an event? Although I will say AFC Wimbledon got it right with the food - since its a fan-owned club, fans had some say in the catering, and have to admit when I went last season I was really impressed with the quality of the organic burgers and sausages! Simon Jordan could learn a lot.

Indeed I go to see my beloved hammers a lot less as I can't afford it, especially in this last couple of years following house purchase and lead up to wedding.

But then when have I ever seen a canadian goose land on the turf at upton Park and terrify the players into only playing down one side of the pitch. Then when finally a couple of brave players attempt to shoo said goose off pitch, a couple of kids run round to the other side to shoo it back on. Genius.

Don't get that level of entertainment in the premiership (yeah, brief glimpse of a squirrel at Highbury...wooo)

And the football has had moments of brilliance (moments mind you). First touch and movement may be way off higher levels, but actual ball skills really aren't that bad at all.

I could have mentioned this before, but I'm sure I remember going to see Dulwich hamlet play Chelsea in a friendly at the old stadium on Denmrk Hill in the early 70's. I think there was a connection between the two clubs at that time and they might have played at the Chelsea ground. I can't find anything on the web about it. Did it happen?

Haha!

Oh the world is such a small place and colonised by Barnsley people! Well i don't think i'm you...not that i know who you is. And despite stereotypical london opinion i don't own a whippet.... eat lard sandwiches.... and only ever wear a flat cap on the very grandest of occassions.

I don't have a shrine to Michael Parkinson, Dickie Bird isn't the extent of my biography reading and i've never been down a pit!

There, got that off my chest!

BBS, am i right in thinking that was the old Barnsley e-mail subscription list? If so was on it years ago before i got shunned by suggesting John Hendrie was a useless manager... despite us beating Huddersfield 7-1! Ah well... have to have your say don't you? I did used to travel with London supporters group way back at the turn of the century! Jimmy Viz, Stu K, Craig and Sue.... know any of them?