Back in ED and the Aircraft Noise is worst than EVER !

I am never worried by aircraft noise and live between Peckham Rye and LL. Actually I like it. If I do hear it, I imagine I am flying off to an exotic place (great way to reduce one's carbon foot print - virtual flying). Baffled by why this is such a major issue for some people.

Well, while I'm on the subject of planning what not Boris Island? I can't quite understand it, put the planes away from the population centre, redevelop Heathrow and Gatwick for housing to fund it all. Perfect.

We are also near the Library and the aircraft noise has become noticeably worse in the last year. Mind you, hasn't stopped me getting on a plane. Selfish Oldie.

fazer71 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Otta Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Not really odd Fazer, he's asking whether you

> use

> > planes. Do you?

> >

> > If so, I'd say you're part of the problem,

> > wouldn't you?

>

>

> Charming Personal Attack and Name calling and out

> of context quote

>

> thank you

Personal attack and name calling?

Okaaaaaaay.

For the record, my post came staright after this

fazer71 Wrote:

> An answer..

> Your line of questioning is rather odd.

So I said it wasn't really "odd". That is the only possible thing I can think of that you may have thought was name calling or a personal attack, rather than directly quoting you.

*Bob* Wrote:

> Let's not forget Fazer's wise words on the Dulwich

> Estate thread: 'the market will decide'*

>

>

>

> Oh yeah.. *except when it comes to planes

> flying over my house

>

>

>

> So a massive hypocrite - as well as a mentalist.

Charming Personal Attack and Name calling and out of context quote

thank you

EDOldie Wrote:

> Well, while I'm on the subject of planning what

> not Boris Island? I can't quite understand it, put

> the planes away from the population centre,

> redevelop Heathrow and Gatwick for housing to fund

> it all. Perfect.

>

> We are also near the Library and the aircraft

> noise has become noticeably worse in the last

> year. Mind you, hasn't stopped me getting on a

> plane. Selfish Oldie.

^ This ....

Otta Wrote:

> Okay being completely serious for a moment.

>

> Just say you're right and the noise has gotten a

> lot louder in the last couple of years.

>

> What do you suggest is done about it?

How about getting Heathrow Air Traffic control to put it back to how it was for the 50 years before DEC 2012 ???

I'm with Penguin. Have lived here for 20 years and no discernible difference. It's clearly something of an obsession for some people, in which case it's not surprising the perceive it as being a nuisance, whereas for most people it's not a problem.

I might be wrong but that appears to be referring to trials on departing aircraft, which doesn't affect East Dulwich but is an issue for people local to Heathrow.

Ruffler Wrote:

> Heathrow Airport have announced that current

> airspace trials will be ending three months early

> on November 12 due to a large public backlash.

> http://mediacentre.heathrowairport.com/Press-relea

> ses/Heathrow-Shortens-Current-Future-Airspace-Stra

> tegy-Trials-9f2.aspx

But it looks as though you're the only person who is bothered by the noise?

fazer71 Wrote:

> Otta Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Okay being completely serious for a moment.

> >

> > Just say you're right and the noise has gotten

> a

> > lot louder in the last couple of years.

> >

> > What do you suggest is done about it?

>

> How about getting Heathrow Air Traffic control to

> put it back to how it was for the 50 years before

> DEC 2012 ???

Peckhamgatecrasher Wrote:

> At the risk of siding with the tin foil brigade, I

> too suffer from plane noise - especially v. early

> am.

>

> But then I see cyclists riding on the pavement

> everyday which noone else seems to.

xxxxx

Yep, so do I. Plane noise and cyclists.

But the plane noise isn't as bad as my neighbour's boiler going on and off while I'm trying to sleep :(

How different people perceive noise is entirely up to them.

But fazer, aside from you believing it to be the case, do you have any evidence to suggest it changed in Dec 2012? I've lived in the same property for over a decade and there were flights flying directly overhead sometimes then - and now. Besides, final approaches (which is what you are seeing the start of) are determined by the runways and given they've not moved, I doubt the approaches have appreciably either.

What I think you are seeing is the difference in which runway that Heathrow is using. The approach to 27L can vary by over a km from the one to 27R - slightly more if pilots are at the periphery of the corridors. 27R is further north than the approach to 27L.

Heathrow switches its runways overnight and then again at 3pm to try to even out the noise nuisance (mostly for those living a heck of a lot closer). If it's particularly busy they'll use both between 6am and 7am.

They even publish the runways so you could try to figure out if it's at certain times (or certain runways) bother you most. For example, this week, they're using 09R overnight (which means you shouldn't hear much as that's coming in over the west), they're using 27R from 6am to 3pm and then 27L from 3pm until around midnight.

One other tidbit that I found out recently is that they also charge airlines for bringing in noisier planes i.e. a little like VED, the more pollution (noise-wise in this case), the higher the charge. It can be more than 4x the price of a quieter plane.

Applespider

I agree in general perception is different from person to person, but there is a point where everyone with average hearing and average sensitivity levels become annoyed.

It's difficult to be exact it's possible the change happened before or post dec 2012.

I am certain that Heathrow have changed the flight paths together with any alternating they had in place.

Possible it changed post 9/11 and post the recent wave of skyscrapers of canary warf and the city.

Heathrow has radar flight path data but it isn't precise enough to show a one or two mile difference and it only take a mile or two to have an impact on a neighbourhood which was previously unaffected.

The only conclusion I have is flight path has moved south where it was previously over the Thames so it is now directly over ED, when it was previously directly over the Thames.

The biggest factor is the constant noise and aircraft I see flying over Dulwich park for years on sunny days I've gone to read and relax there, now that's impossible.

It is possible the flight are now in a narrower landing corridor and that has increased the impact, but I don't think that is what has happened. I think it's simply been moved 1-2 miles south.

Today Zero aircraft noise landings on Easterly operations.

If anyone edcam johnie TheArtfulDogger Otta *Bob* Penguin68 etc thinks it's just as noisy as yesterday they need to go get a hearing test...