The Best Bar in East Dulwich 2007 award - discussion

Mark

mockney piers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> "pretentious air about it where people are looking

> around more than at the people they are there

> with"

>

> Isn't that just leching rather than pretentious?

Yes I suppose you are right. And they were all looking at me!

Keef can I say I completely agree that diversity is a good thing. A pub for everyone!

But other gentrified areas (thinking claphams Northcote road) just became a sea of generic gastro-bars catering to 20 somethings on the pull. And you think "where do all the people go to drink that dont like these places?"

I hate to say it but the chances are that ED is heading that way in future. The CPT is owned by Punch Taverns one of the largest breweries. A pub company that size doesnt really care about keeping a small group of customers happy if it can make more money changing it. They will apply a simple formula to any freehold property i.e. pub takings minus cost to own/run = profit. I reckon that Punch have looked at the CPT and thought its not taking much perhaps ?2-?3k per week but they are happy to leave it as is as long as its covering costs because the value of the freehold on it will have trebled.

But once property values level out and start to fall (which they are now finally doing)they may well try to get some more money out of it by changing it, sticking a Thai chef in etc etc. But I think it has a few more years to go before gastrofication as LL is fairly saturated with those bars at the moment and coping with the demand.

It would not cost much to just repaint it though! Someone give it a paint job!

MrBen, just to clarify, Punch Taverns own the CPT, but they sell the lease to people who then effectively do what they want with it. It's current owner made the decision to paint it, and paid for the patio out front and the reupholstering for the seats and all that. Unfortunately, she's just left the place to rot, and wants rid, so someone else will buy it from her (there have been a couple of people looking at it) and then do as they see fit. Punch Taverns really have nothing to do with the pub other than to supply the beer. For the record, I know one interested party was exploring the possibility of extending out back to build a kitchen.

Totally agree about the plants and tables out front, they were lovely when they were fist bought, but they were never treated, and within a year they looked sh!t!. That's what I mean about the owner leaving it to rot, which is so sad for the staff there who try reallt hard to make it a nice place to go for a drink.

Well The Castle has had a couple of votes, is that a cheat? To be fair, I had a beer at The Bishop on Saturday afternoon, and sat out in the little yard with the heat lamps. This was rather a nice experience. However, I went in to buy a pint, and remembered why I'm no fan, they had this horrific muzak jazz on, and the bloke behind the bar looked at me like I was rude to be bothering him.

Had my first foray into the CPT on Saturday (hope you enjoyed your birthday Bagpuss) and it felt abit alien. Went into the bar and all in there stopped and looked and went abit quiet. I've sort of forgotten that that happens in a regulars pub as havent been to one for a while. A bit unnerving!

That wasnt a slur on the CPT btw!

Keef Wrote:

> Well The Castle has had a couple of votes, is that

> a cheat?

Sorry - wasn't really suggesting "cheating" as such. I just suspect that

a) there's a lot of CPT fans on this forum (I almost get the impressions from some posts that the forum is just a way for some regulars to chat when they're not in the pub)

b) that those mentioned above have made an effort to get votes cast for the CPT

So - not cheating, but perhaps a bit like the time that the BBC had to discard all internet votes for sports personality of the year as Justin Fashanu looked like being the winner :)

Agreed, the CPT looks a bit rundown, and it's slightly off the beaten track, and occasionally it feels like you've gatecrashed a private party. But that's why I love it. It doesn't attract the 20-somethings on the pull, or the estate agents at the end of their shift. I've never had or seen any aggro in there, it shows the football, and you can always get a seat.

But saying that, the Bishop does have a couple of very attractive barmaids (or at least they seem very attractive after a couple of pints, which may not be quite the same thing).

peckhamboy Wrote:

> Agreed, the CPT looks a bit rundown, and it's slightly off the beaten track, and occasionally it feels like you've gatecrashed a private party. But that's why I love it. It doesn't attract the 20-somethings on the pull, or the estate agents at the end of their shift. I've never had or seen any aggro in there, it shows the football, and you can always get a seat.

Basicaly that's exactly why I like it too.

> But saying that, the Bishop does have a couple of very attractive barmaids (or at least they seem very attractive after a couple of pints, which may not be quite the same thing).

So does the CPT, or do you want me to tell Candice, Marie and Laura that you said they were second best to the Bishop girls? ;-)

So does the CPT, or do you want me to tell Candice, Marie and Laura that you said they were second best to the Bishop girls?

:-$

I was just trying to find something nice to say about the Bishop. And I was worried that advertising the beauty of the CPT bar staff might encourage more 20-somethings on the pull to check it out, and then I'd hate it and have to stop going there. You've let the cat out the bag now though...

TillieTrotter Wrote:

> Had my first foray into the CPT ... Went into the bar and all in there

> stopped and looked and went abit quiet.

Don?t worry Tillie. I?ve been going there for about 3 years and that still happens to me sometimes.