The Best Bar in East Dulwich 2007 award - discussion

Mark

Popped into the Bishop this afternoon - hmmmmm... what is all the fuss about? worn out seating, grubby and tatty decor, artwork that looked like it was from East Street market, that odd arangement of mirrors and the ugly looking East Germanic air con unit hoiked to the ceiling. And, the conversation between punters and girl behind bar was basically not-very-nice sexual banter. Place seemed pretty seedy for a Wednesday afternoon. Reminded me of, now what was that other place called..... The Forresters!

Keef Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> MrBen, just to clarify, Punch Taverns own the CPT,

> but they sell the lease to people who then

> effectively do what they want with it. It's

> current owner made the decision to paint it, and

> paid for the patio out front and the

> reupholstering for the seats and all that.

> Unfortunately, she's just left the place to rot,

> and wants rid, so someone else will buy it from

> her (there have been a couple of people looking at

> it) and then do as they see fit. Punch Taverns

> really have nothing to do with the pub other than

> to supply the beer. For the record, I know one

> interested party was exploring the possibility of

> extending out back to build a kitchen.

The CPT - If that back room isn't the "restaurant" and the front bit "the bar", with a genneric "gastro-menu" by this time next year, I'll eat my hat... and my trousers...

Nero Wrote:

> Is there a system in place so that each forumite can only post once?

There should be yes, why can you vote twice? It does seem though that if you go to the best bar vote via the Lounge then you can revoke your vote then vote for someone else. Now removed

Did everyone get an email last night about the voting?

[edited once]

People prefer bland. Put it this way: when we go into a video store while we have the option of an edgy, interesting indie/foreign movie, most people most of the time will watch the safe, predictable Hollowood (sic) product. Partly because stepping out of the normal routine is a risk and also becuase those films (like the Bishop pub, etc.) are ones that all your mates/family watch or that are already the most well-known.

Plus, I might be wrong, but the Bish has got the latest licence on LL. This could be a factor ...

char1ie Wrote:

> It is the perfect boozer.

As Rolo said, good luck to them, I don't hate anyone there or anything, but "perfect boozer"... Come on, it is not a boozer!

Besides, late lisenses are crap, it just means the busy place you're in gets busier as everyone tries for that last pint... What you need is a lock in :)-D

They used to have a policy of having to be in by a certain time to partake of the late licence.

I don't know whether getting rid of that is a good or bad thing. Depends on whether i'm on the inside or the outside I guess (though they usually snuck me in anyway B), it pays to get on well with the door staff)

My big problem with the EDT is the absolutely crap seats that always seem on the brink of collapsing under you. However, I do quite like it in there as a whole.

Mag has the same seating issues, why of why do so many pubs think that buying old church seats is a good idea? They are by definition uncomfortable, and the churches are getting rid for a reason!

char1ie Wrote:

>

>

> It is the perfect boozer.

>

Hmmm, not with you there, Charlie. It's alright, and I've never had a shit night in there, but neither have I had one that sticks in the memory. So many other places I have met all kinds of characters. Never, alas, in the Bish. S'alright for one or two, IMO, but lacks the coherence, ambience and nuances of other ED watering holes.

Keef Wrote:

> MrBen, just to clarify, Punch Taverns own the CPT,

> but they sell the lease to people who then

> effectively do what they want with it. It's

> current owner made the decision to paint it, and

> paid for the patio out front and the

> reupholstering for the seats and all that.

> Unfortunately, she's just left the place to rot,

> and wants rid, so someone else will buy it from

> her (there have been a couple of people looking at

> it) and then do as they see fit. Punch Taverns

> really have nothing to do with the pub other than

> to supply the beer. For the record, I know one

> interested party was exploring the possibility of

> extending out back to build a kitchen.

Keef it sounds like Punch own the freehold no? And my point was a commercial one. If they can get more money for their lease next time round (from a new proprietor with ideas) I guess they will. But more importantly, Keef, in your opinion CPT - front or back bit (football nothwithstanding)??

Well I used to spend more time in the back "lounge bar" or "Old Side" we tend to call it, but in recent times I am definitely in the front "New Side" more often. However, this time of year, I suspect we'll find ourselves back to the long table by the fire in the Old Side. More cosy!