The Best Bar in East Dulwich 2007 award - discussion

Mark

I'm sort of feeling human now, but struggling to keep eyes open, and thinking of having another 3 o clock meeting... God I earn my money! :-S

Part of me wishes I'd stayed longer, I really like The Drum, and was good to bump in to Tillie & Asset, but sometimes sense kicks in... Not often, but sometimes!

Aaaanyway, best pub???

An interesting one this because these are all totally different establishments. Is it just me or does anyone else make a subliminal distinction between "bars" and "pubs" (and tend to stick to one type). Unless I'm mullered of course in which case who gives a damn :-)

But to me, Green and Blue, Black Cherry, Liquorish and Inside 72 are bars.

And Bishop, Castle, CPT, EDT and Palmerston are pubs!

And isn't it great that we are now so lucky round here that we could even have a (horror)...SUB CATEGORY! There was a time when I would only go to the EDT. Because The Forresters Arms was too scary.

My pals who love CPT would never go to the Liquorish and vice versa. So what is the criteria for this Forum award? Just sheer number of votes or could it be more intelligent?

Here are the MrBen award winners:

Best UK reproduction of a Lower East Side rock n roll bar - Inside 72

Best bar to buy a small plate of olives for ?25 - Green & Blue

Best attempt to deface a nice traditional frontage with bright purple paint- CPT

Best place to sit outside with sunglasses on - The Bishop

Best chain pub attempt to appeal to a new middle class crowd by revamping the menu and hiking prices yet serving average microwaved food- Clock House (congratulations!)

Best pub with wood fired Pizza thing - Gowlett

Best pub for fighting and pool - The Castle (the table is not hampered by a wall like the gowlett. Also pool cues are heavier and do more damage)

Best place for admiring gym slips to cool music - Inside 72

Best place to enjoy ok food with fabulous wine - Green & Blue

Best honest boozer with terrible toilets - CPT

Best place to get jostled by lairy idiots - The Bishop

Best poorly refurbed pub with lovely flowers - Clock House

Best ... err ... meh - Gowlett

Best place to watch the hurling and have 10 strangers reach into their pockets at the same time without being asked, because you were stupidly a quid short for your pint of guinness - The Castle

Best place to listen to GOOD music on a system that actually makes you feel it - Inside 72

Best Place that used to be shite but is now pretty good beyond expectation even though it's owned by a chain - Plough

Best place that is pulling out all the stops to give people what they want - EDT

Best place for the quality of clientele and barstaff - CPT

Best Place to Avoid - the Vale

Best Place that fits the is it a pub or isn't it - The Drum

Best place that allows me to bring any food I want but I've never tried it and oh the wines are lovely - G&B

Jah Lush Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm appalled that there are people on this thread

> who haven't been to every bar in East Dulwich!!!!

> What the f**k is wrong with you? You need to get

> out more.

I know. Pretty sad isn't it? Been here six months or so & still so many to try! I will be doubling my efforts. Actually I think I made a pretty good effort in the Drum for my first time! :)-D

Best Pub with Novelty Dog - and its a close run thing between "Clarence" at The Bishop and.... Blue at The Drum!

I have to pick Blue - he is smaller but carries a lot more weight. Clarence has really smelly farts too from all the left over organic burgers and apple crumble they must feed him.

I really love The Drum - they do really good filled rolls for lunch for a fiver. And its the kind of well run yet slightly erratic home made operation that warms your heart. The night they ran out of beer sticks in the memory...I mean what pub runs out of beer?!!!

But unphased, Mr Drum just went down to Budgens and bought a load, handed them out for free and the party continued. Truely excellent.

I recommend the rolls at lunch too. Did I just say that.

MrBen Wrote:

> I really love The Drum - they do really good

> filled rolls for lunch for a fiver. And its the

> kind of well run yet slightly erratic home made

> operation that warms your heart. The night they

> ran out of beer sticks in the memory...I mean what

> pub runs out of beer?!!!

That's interesting. I am a regular visitor of the Drum and have known its hapless but jovial owner for 10 years or so. I was quite impressed when they ran out of beer too. It's got to be a regular thing.

Charlie

Tis true Char!ie and we probably know each other if you're a regular like am too but they seem to have got their act together now since Dave's been away in Greece. It's certainly being run properly now and no running out of beer or cider and the shorts are back up behind the bar again. All good stuff and hope it continues in the same vein once he gets back, which is tonight I think.

• 2 weeks later...

Jah Lush Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Tis true Char!ie and we probably know each other

> if you're a regular like am too but they seem to

> have got their act together now since Dave's been

> away in Greece. It's certainly being run properly

> now and no running out of beer or cider and the

> shorts are back up behind the bar again. All good

> stuff and hope it continues in the same vein once

> he gets back, which is tonight I think.

Was in there for a stint on Friday night. Hello TillieT. Annie seemed nice. A typical evening. And have voted for the Drum in the Best Bar competition. And so should everybody else. The Drum needs a random award behind the bar!

Don't go in there as often as I'd like, what with the family and the less silly nights out these days.

Charlie