The Best Bar in East Dulwich 2007 award - discussion

Mark

About 400 at the moment. Bishop looks to have run away with Black Cherry had a late surge and seems to have secured second.

CPT in a respectable 3rd at the moment, guess I have to be happy with that, it's not bad at all considering the competition :)-D

That said, I still can't believe The Bishop will have the title "Best Bar in East Dulwich", I would have gone for the CPT, EDT, Plough, Cheery, Inside, FHT and possibly even the Mag above The Bishop (no particular order there by the way).

So there you go, The Bishop wins, but The Black Cherry run it really really close in the end, they must have left it just too late to start getting their mates to vote! ;-) Anyway, well done the Bishop. I don't take back anything I said, but you won fair in an open vote, so somebody loves you.

Congratulations to the Bishop and obviously Scott and his staff. I'm not a regular but there have been a few times when I've enjoyed a late one in there. When you consider what a dump this place used to be under it's previous incarnation as the Forresters I think the award is well deserved. Nice to see there is still healthy competition out there too in the shape of the Black Cherry which ran it very close.

Interesting that someone mentioned the Florence (ex-Brockwell Park Tavern) because I love the Bishop and I'm very pleased that it won but I think the Florence is a dreadful cock-up. The food was really average, the service terrible, staff uppity. I'll never go back.

The Bishop's great though.

Charlie

We'll agree to differ Charlie, I think the food is dreadfully bland in the bishop, and thus I just drink in the florence*, but beer second to none in the area.

Oh and congrats to Green & Blue with another late surge and almost made it to third

The Bishop - 85

The Black Cherry - 77

The Crystal Palace Tavern - 43

Green & Blue - 40

The East Dulwich Tavern - 33

*I've just recalled I had a pretty reasonable sunday lunch there once.

The Uplands (bless it) is just a bit of a nothing really. Best description I ever heard for it was a friend saying "It's like having a beer in a cinema bar".

barrymarshall Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think the dog, Clarence (?), deserves a special award for being cool.

Clarence has a whole pub named after him on Balham High Road, or Hill SW12 (same road, not sure where it changes from High Road to Hill), what more does he want!? ;-)

macroban Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Good to see that the Crystal Palace Tavern was voted the best pub in East Dulwich.

Ha ha, exactly right! :)-D

• 6 months later...

PGC wrote:Hired by the half hour?

You are obviously a marathon runner PGC, most of the people I know less than half that amount would suffice;-)

Buggie wrote: wouldn't be one half of a hard working couple would you dbw1??

Hey buggie are you joining Annaj's team of hawk eyed defenders of the faithful. Well spotted.