Squaters

paolot

There are something like 75,000 empty houses in London, something like 30,000 of those long term, with demand for housing outstripping that figure.

The fault here lies with the owner leaving it empty long enough to show up on potential occupant's radar.

As it's a civil offence you have to wait for the courts and bureaucracy rather than the police. and if they've been careful 'criminal damage' is hard to prove without the owner present. So you'll have to wait for the courts ; )

I like the fear of squatters burgling houses on the same street though. Because that would be clever.

I also don't think you can tar them all with the same brush - many of them are decent people.

Though I guess that on this forum due to them not sharing your values (imported Home Counties values, values not necessarily indigenous to the area) they are automatically 'scum'.

Drive them out- lets get a mob sorted out - blazing torches made from last weekends Guardian magazine, Molotovs fashioned from astisan olive oil bottles with tapers made from shredded Melanie Phillips daily mail so called articless

out! out! out!

Berlin wouldn't be half the city it is if it wasn't for squatters.

I think it's 'criminal' for property to be left empty in a city with such an acute housing shortage - by squatting in areas such as ED it helps raise awareness of the issue.

honk Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Berlin wouldn't be half the city it is if it

> wasn't for squatters.

>

> I think it's 'criminal' for property to be left

> empty in a city with such an acute housing

> shortage - by squatting in areas such as ED it

> helps raise awareness of the issue.

communist!

OUT! OUT! OUT!

My memory of squatters during c1972-c1979 when there was last a significant number of squatters in East Dulwich is that they either chose large and nice private properties or council flats. Small private terrace and semi-detached properties were pretty much ignored.

Let's just agree that some squatters are decent, respectful people who are simply taking advantage of unused housing. While others cause damage, nuisance and wreck livelihoods. As someone pointed out, you can't tar them all with the same brush.

Jeremy Wrote:

As someone pointed out, you can't tar them all with the same brush.

So very, very true!

I was saying that very same thing 3 nights ago when watching the Documentary about Britain's most notorious Tea-Leaves "The Johnson Family-Family Motto: "If you go after one "Johnson" you will have all The "Johnsons" to contend with" who were found in their Caravans discussing their ?30 Million hauls from Stately Homes/Post Offices/Banks etc....

Not "all" Travellers have stolen ?30 Mill. so do NOT generalise, please.(6)

Some of the indie/arty crowd from Inside 72 used to squat next door to me, adding a touch of colour to my grey yuppie world. Used to invite us round for wild sub-Doherty/Moss style parties, but they eventually got my goat when they complained about our planting in the garden.

I agree that if a building is uninhabited and some squatters move in and actually take care of the place then you should leave them to it but if the Burbery brigade move in then reach for the 12 bore. About 3 years ago I was on the job demolishing Abford house theatre (the site has been replaced with a huge building site immediatly visible when you leave Victoria train station) and we had a group of crack heads move in and the mess they left was very disturbing. Claxon horns did the trick.