Roundabout at Goose Green

If you go into Blackfriars from Denmark Hell, on your RH side near Th Elephant station, there is a 20ft tall Fibreglass statue of VI Lenin on the roof of what I think is a Movie/ TV supply bits place. Im sure for a small amoutt of compensation, the company would be prepared to mount the 20ft high statue in the Middle of GG roundabout

It is a replica of the one at the Finland Station in St Petersburg if My memory seves me right

An great idea mentioned to me by Mark worth voicing here. It would be great have a statue/signpost formed of (in)famous local figures directing traffic, ie Del Boy directing towards Pekam, John Alleyn, towards the village, Enid Blyton up LL. That would make me laugh and help me know where I'm going :))

AP

Snorky, that statue is the highlight of my day. I point it out every time I'm on that train with someone else, and if they miss it they all think I'm insane.

I was at Finland station last november, and I'm sad to say I either missed it or it's gone :(.

Maybe it's not a replica?!?!

Yes yes yes, lets rescue it from it's lopsided home propped up on someone's balcony. Sod tooting, East Dulwich popular Front

Does anyone know how much the award is for?

A flowerbed...?2,000? A signpost...?1,500? A lantern...?1,000? A fountain...?8.99 in B&Q?

Tone (Studio in Bellenden Road I believe) ain't gonna get out of bed for that.

We don't want a pile of bean cans do we?

That's valuable real estate that is. The council should grant planning permission for a Tescos/Starbucks on the ground floor and some duplex apartments above then top it off with a mobile phone mast.

Alright, alright.... I prefer the sculpture idea but think we should be looking to encourage up and coming artists rather than resorting to Mr Gormley, who, let's face it, is probably outside of the councils budget. Perhaps he could be approached to be on a judging panel of likely contenders ?

The grant is for ?8,000 in total, but that includes any other works needed e.g. lighting of the centrepiece etc, which won't come cheap - so expect to get something pretty cheap and nasty if you vote for the Art option. Alternatively, tick the yes box for a tree, write Palm tree or monkey puzzle in big letters next to it and they might get the message. For ?1,000 you'd get a really good specimen and then they can spend the other ?7K on cranes, traffic works, safety lighting (it'll have to be installed at night to avoid the traffic) etc etc

We could have a magic roundabout with various local characters, eg Enid etc! This is a fun thread! :))

It could be nice to have something representing the fact that geese used to be kept there, maybe the woman looking after her geese (I read that this is why its called Goose Green - is this true?)

If a sculpture goes up there, it would be good to have something representing the local area rather than just a random piece of art.

how about something the South London press would approve of - a life size statue of a hoodie wid a piece popping caps in the asses of those who vex an disrespekkt him ?

Unrealistc ? maybe

headline grabbing and designed to scare people into thinking the area is like Sadr City ? Yup

Yes that is why goose green is so-called it was held there at lamas could think of a few local charectors to put on magic roundabout, also like the idea of william blake and angels, like the murel by goose green playground

I noted that as well macroban, I'm thinking it might be quite nice just to have our very own grassy knoll there (at least until something is done). There's also no space for other comments such as "please could you tidy up the arrow signs whilst you're working on it".

Perhaps back to the cow idea believe still have right to place sheep on peckham rye and goose green maybe sheep statues, pushing 3x3 prams with lambs in to demonstrate how things have changed (pram must have coffee cup holder)

Thank goodness for all those postings on this thread that contained humour, imagination, grass roots reaction, information or fun.

But didn't the postings from Wannerbee PISAGs stand out!

To all free spirits out there - don't let the WPISAGs grind you down.