Missing Post In East Dulwich (Especially Lordship Lane) not strike related

Will_i_am

I know the post has been terrible of late due to the postal strikes but putting that issue aside I would be interested to hear if anyone can point out specific instances where they have had post go missing or simply that they suspect post is not making it through their letterbox. I'm especially interested to hear from people and businesses on Lordship Lane.

The reason I ask is that I believe I have had items of post go missing on a regular basis (Bank statements being one specific item that I am aware of amongst others). As a result I've not received certain information and it's ended up potentially costing me quite a considerable sum of money.

I have spoken to the manager at the sorting office on Silvester Road who offered to moniter my post for a period of a week (worth it?) and would then issue me with the results. Well, that just didn't happen.

Also, how often do you receive other people's mail and do you forward it on or just bin it?

I'd appreciate genine responses only and if possible stay on topic. Your input is gratefully received in advance.

If you're worried about bank statements going missing then it would be worth considering on-line billing only.

I don't think any post of mine hasn't made it, and I'm on LL. 90% of the post for my flat is for past occupants and I don't have their forwarding address so if it looks like junk I bin it but the rest is one huge heap incase they ever come knocking. One day I might get round to a no longer at this address posting session.

I write "not at this address" on it and re-post so it goes back to the sender. I would rather have a company think I moved and couldn't be located than think I was just ignoring their "third and final" letter.

What I can't understand is why I pay to have my post forwarded due to change of address, only to have it show up about half the time? Why offer a service if you can't provide it properly? Silly buggers

A cheque book sent to me was never received - and the cheques were kited close to London - nobody could determine where the book was intercepted - but probably once it had been broken up from its batch and sent to E-Dulwich. I remember a couple of years ago seeing relief postmen together holding envelopes up to the light to see what was in them - I don't think they realised I was watching them from an upstairs window.

So I have personal experience of mail going missing, and 'observational' proof that (some) postmen seemed to be treating mail in an odd way. I also had anacdotal evidence (from the PC in the ED Station when I was reporting my stolen chequebook) that 'they'd had a lot of problems with the local sorting office'.

That was a few years ago, and I know a number of the sorting office staff who all seem very genuine and good (and have their own concernes about some of the things that go in in the sorting office).

But, when reliefs are on, some of my mail is delivered next door (and I get wrongly delivered mail as well).

Weirdly a parcel arrived on sunday when we were out, they left a card for us to pick it up from silvester road after 24 hours but have been there twice now and no sign. Silvester road guys say they can't contact the 'special courriers' (these aren't the usual postmen/women) who are now being used by Royal Mail so can't tell me when or if it will arrive! Left them my number in the hope it will at some point. Doesn't seem much like an improvement in service and very annoying. They did say that other people were in a similar position.

• 3 weeks later...

We live on Lordship Lane and our post deliveries have been irregular ever since we moved in 2 years ago. I am aware of quite a few items that haven't been delivered - fortunately nothing too important. We also regularly receive a lot of post for other addresses - normally for our nearby neighbours so we do tend to re-deliver it, but it does make you wonder how much of our post is being misdelivered.

I have complained several times to the post office, and haven't really had a satisfactory response. I've just resigned myself to the fact that it's a completely unreliable post service and have anything important delivered to work!

I agree with merylou...

To be frank, we haven't noticed a lot of difference between the service pre-strike and now...it has been poor for the last couple of years...the only difference now is that we do not use the post unless absolutely necessary (e.g. tax returns now filed on line...phone calls instead of birthday cards etc.)

And as for contacting their so-called Customer Services at HO...save yourself the headache...a complete waste of time.

I have just reported my 4th film as lost to lovefilm today. Thats in the space of a month. Last week I found a package I had ordered on line in my recycling bin and a rather expensive games console behind my rubbish bin. I suppose at least they were delivered.

Edited because I suggested that the binmen might have taken away a heavy box, which is ridiculous.

hi yes we have had bank statements, cheque books, parcels and who knows what else not delivered. We are on overhill road, We were getting the tv guide on subscription but have cancelled after we didnt have one delivered in time to use it for a month! We have complained many times and notthing has been done about it. We did get sent a free book of stamps when my husband said he was going to the police as it looked like the postman was stealing our post with it being mainly bank related things going missing. We didnt go to the police and it did get better for a while after that postman left/was moved routes.

we are always getting post for ladlands which is the huge block of flats further up this street. it is always the flat with the same no as ours but is is a different postcode so this shouldnt happen. we always either hand mis delivered post back to the postman the next day or put it back in the post box.

the best one was we recieved a card for someone on dunstans road the other day, the post date was for 3 weeks earlier so had been stuck in the system for a while, I gave it back to the postman the next day, 4 days later the same card came back through our door-unbelievable that they could get it that wrong twice! waiting to see if it turns up again.

we have also had parcels thrown over the fence from the flats next door rather than putting a card through, some have been fine, one i found in my garden a soggy mess-guess the foxes in my garden had been playing with it, and one was a dvd and the plastic case smashed to pieces.

Lucyl Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I have just reported my 4th film as lost to lovefilm today. Thats in the space of a month.

The Private Eye that I would normally have received on 30 September didn't arrive until 30 October (overtaken by the subsequent issue).

• 4 weeks later...
We live just off of Lordship Lane, on Blackwater Street. We sometimes get post for people living on Bassano Street, which I end up taking round myself. It's highly erratic, the postal strike made no difference to be honest. My advice would be to avoid using the postal service if at all possible and to check all bank accounts etc online frequently. Other than that, there is not much you can do. Complaining to the local post office about the mail is like complaining to the local vicar about the weather in my opinion.

I was due to receive a new credit card in the post at the end of September. I'd asked the bank to send it to a branch rather than my home, but they didn't for some reason. When it didn't arrive, I cancelled the card and got a new one sent to the branch assuming it had been diverted somehow. The missing credit card arrived three days ago - almost exactly two months after it was sent. No sign it was tampered with at all - just took that long to arrive.

Live just off Lordship Lane and have had a parcel and insurance documents(duplicates sent a couple of times) not arriving. I am now awaiting two more parcels which should have been here by now....this is the first time I'm beginning to get suspicious, have never had problems before....

I'm on Underhill Road (Barry Road end) and having BIG problems!

Not only am I having post at very irregular intervals - one big delivery a week - but am also having problems with mail I'm sending from the post box on the corner of Friern Road...its not late, it just doesnt arrive! (between 6 - 10 instances). I have taken to posting my letters in different areas en route to different friends and family across the week in order to try and get round this problem.

Weird...

This is not confined to just ED .I live on Peckham Rye SE15 side and have had little post if any since the strikes. My house insurance policy documents never arrived and had new ones sent out ,they took nearly 2 weeks to arrive and I did my car tax on line ,that didnt arrive so had to phone and getting another one sent. Never had a problem before the postal strikes, so much backlog must be a result of this.

I am waiting for 2 CD's from CD wow, and two DVD box sets from HMV - Both were posted nearly two weeks ago. My mum sent a letter to me arond a month ago that is yet to turn up = these are just the things I know off! I am on Goodrich

I too often get letters for completely different roads and my neighbours - I do hand deliver them but its pretty poor!

I am highly suspicious! I saw the "postman" today - no uniform whatsoever, dressed like he was off to the gym and just happened to come across a post trolley! There seems to be a random selection of people dragged from the streets, you never see the same person twice!

I really don't trust the post round here at all! Not sure if its dishonesty, inability to read or just complete lack of care and disregard :-(

What can we do?