Rocca in the village

zebbedee

Whilst not strictly in East Dulwich, Rocca, in the village, will no doubt have been visted by many and be a place marked up to eat in for those who have not yet been. The food was poor but the service was excellent. The food seems to be pre-prepared before it arrives at Rocca. Arancini did not contain risotto as it should but some amalgam of carbohydrate that resembled rice. Mussels tasted fishy and on a blind tasting were not that far removed from boiled rubberbands in a ubiquitous tomato based goo. Pizza was made from a spongy bread or so it seemed to me as opposed to pizza dough. The crusts were burnt and they were as close to the Neapolitan classic as the frozen variety offered by the superstores. Pasta was dreadful. Spaghetti Carbonara consisted of a sauce that could have passed for cat vomit with undigestible bacon mixed into the worst pasta imaginable. The pasta itself was tasteless brown strands of hard (not al dente but al raw) string. Even the supermarkets' own brand pasta is of a better quality and it does not take a michelin starred chef to boil it in water for crica 12 minutes. Surely they could do tiramisu I thought. But nope. This turned out to be a sugary splodge of baby food and an offence to the Tuscan pud we all love. The wine list is okay for a chain but the boil in the bag rubbish we were fed still leaves Dulwich without a decent mid price Italian restaurant.

We went there a fortnight or so ago and thought it was excellent: the food was great and the price was actually quite reasonable - 30 quid for two starters, two mains a side dish and two drinks.

A huge improvement on the place that was there before and, whilst I don't question zebbedee's experience of Rocca, I would ask EDFers to go and make their own minds up.

Wow

That's not a very good recommendation. I've been there a few times and had no problems with the food,it has seemed rather fresh and a mile away from any chain restaurant food. You must really know your stuff to feel so passionate to give it such a POOR report.

As far I know Rocca is not a chain [as in Pizza Express or Cafe Rouge]there's only one other Rocca restaurant in South Kensington [according to its website], and it is twinned with Franco Manca in Brixton - which is superb. How disappointing that you feel that it is not that great - I have always thought that it was pretty good value considering its positioning and the service is very personal and friendly.

I ate there with my family yesterday and we thought that it was really good, the pasta was really fresh and the kids were invited to view the pizza cooking in the oven - a very personal touch that you just wouldn't get in a chain

Happy Easter Zebbedee - I hope you have a happier meal this bank holiday

:-)

• 2 weeks later...

zeb and dee got out the wrong side of bed on the 24th when visiting rocca in the village

i have been to this place every week since it opened february

its very good

i dont recognise the report by this person which struck me as a bit odd

i dont even mind queueing which is what i have had to do the last two times we have been

i have pizza, i have pasta, i have had a grill

all delicious

i have also visited Rocca in the last week - actually went on the busy easter weekend - was pleasantly surprised by the friendly service and good food. Pizza was good - pasta was so so - so more to be done on that front. Prosecco was good etc. After the experience of dining in Le Piaf (previous occupants) this place makes a refreshing change and adds a bit of buzz to the Dulwich Village life - which was bordering on the side of a sleep induced coma. So i will visit again and support the establishment as it is local and will give feedback to the manager when i visit next which i believe is what zebbedee should do too.

I've been twice. Nice atmosphere and service but I have to admit the food was slightly underwhelming. I wish them well but after my second visit I left thinking I would probably only return if it was with the kids for basic pizza/pasta and not if I fancied a really nice meal.

o woman of the area ( SE21 )

because its v good value ( cheap )

i can be seen lunch and dinner (or coffee )

on the outside tables in the sun ( daytime )

with my many beautiful stylish friends ( laughing )

at least twice a week on my new ipad 2 ( present )

using their wi fi ( free )

beats working from home or office ( see )

i am the one in the joseph outfit

I've been 3 times now and thought the food was excellent, both the pasta and the pizzas. My DP thought the prosecco and the red wines very good too. I'll be happy to go back, it's an excellent local as far as I'm concerned.

Went for the first time on Saturday night (four of us) and the place was packed. I have to say I liked the buzziness of it, despite the crowds and not having a booking they handled us well at the bar and were efficient in finding us a table (they only take max 40% reservations I think).

The basic wines were really good and the food was fairly good. We had one grilled spatchcock chicken which was incinerated but they happily replaced it with a new juicy one. Pasta and squid was good too.

It's not top notch italian but I liked the feel of the place, its next to The Dog and takes people in to eat later (10pm).

But best of all - the amazing prices. How can anyone can moan when you'll get a top plate of pasta for ?7 odd - thats only slightly more than Il Mirto but slap bang in a prime Village spot. We had three full courses, chilled prosecco's on arrival and 2 bottles of decent red all for ?40 a head. That's good value.

Waiter's tip is not to go on a Friday or Saturday night - midweek will get you a table, a less rushed kitchen and a more consistent service.

We have been a few times and have found it a bit hit and miss. The first time was very nice, I had something similar to Ravioli, but the second time had Pescatore pasta with quite gritty Clams. The starter was Calamari, which was very nice apart from a few small stray bits of a plastic-like substance lurking on the plate.

On the other hand, one of the waiters looks just like Napoleon Dynamite...which is fun.

we went sat night and enjoyed the buzz and friendly german waitress, who commutes from eastham . the food was good, but not amazing, but seemed right for the price. complimentary limoncellos at the end, so good customer care too.A welcome addition to the village, we looked at cafe rouge on the way home and it looked so lifeless in comparison.

posted this here as I had previously posted it under "when is rocca opening" woops

Rocca compared to Piaf

Nicer environment.

Competent and attentive staff

Reasonable prices.

The most important thing about any restaurant is the food.

And

The food in Rocca is Garbage.

Why not try ?Ask Pasta? , ?Strada? in town

or ?Lorenzo?s? up at Crystal Palace.

Rocca?s sauces are bland as I said a Lloyd Grossman in a jar would be infinitely better.

A plate of pasta costs a few pennies you can?t get cheaper food so to fail at a simple pasta dish is incompetence or as I stated maybe it?s the water in the village!

Pizza Express is expensive and only the pizza is worth having.

The village is still lacking an average restaurant it has 4 poor ones?.

If the management don?t employ chefs who can cook and taste the food the produce the deserve to fail.

I have no axe to grind I just wish there was some good food in the village.

It looks pretty busy every time I go past, which is more than you can say for its predecessor, so it must be doing something right. Perhaps it's worth remembering that food is not the only reason people return to a restaurant - feeling welcome, efficient service, nice atmosphere, attractive surroundings etc all play a part.

Why not give them a chance and hold off with the final judgements until they've been around for six months or so?