One for the Boxing fans!

Keef

David Haye claimed in a post fight interview that he didn't try to win until the 3rd round because his family and other connections had large bets on him winning in the 3rd.

Whilst this could obviously just be an excuse for taking so long (!!!) the comment does seem rather unwise in view of all the recent betting scandals in other sports.

Possibly, but only if the contest was LOST on purpose.

At any point Haye could have potentially been hit so it wasn't totally in his power alone (unless Harrison threw the rounds).

If you friends have bet on you scoring 3 goals in a football match and you do, it's hardly match fixing.

KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Possibly, but only if the contest was LOST on

> purpose.

> At any point Haye could have potentially been hit

> so it wasn't totally in his power alone (unless

> Harrison threw the rounds).

>

> If you friends have bet on you scoring 3 goals in

> a football match and you do, it's hardly match

> fixing.

Most of the betting in boxing centres on which round the result will occur rather than on the winner/loser, therefore storing up the win for a particular round is definitely dodgy!

KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Possibly, but only if the contest was LOST on

> purpose.

> At any point Haye could have potentially been hit

> so it wasn't totally in his power alone (unless

> Harrison threw the rounds).

>

> If you friends have bet on you scoring 3 goals in

> a football match and you do, it's hardly match

> fixing.

Its not always the overall result that is key in betting scandels. Certainly determining that you would win in a particular round is fixing the result. And if you could have won earlier you could be accused of not doing your best even against a lame opponent. Haye should have kept this to himself and will be interesting to see what the bookies have to say.

The heavyweight fight was a joke contest. Audrey Harrison was way out of his depth and one connection backed up the look of a man who looked like s scared rabbit. Not really a boxing fan because of exactly those kind of contests. Having said that I ended up watching the Manny fight and that was well worth the effort!

After the predictable let-down of Haye-Harrison in terms of excitement, the Manny-Margarito fight was a humdinger.

Manny, for me, is now the best pfp fighter in the world. An eighth world title at eight different weights is a phenomena. He hurt Magarito badly which almost no one does - the man is made of granite - and negated the height, weight and reach differential.

That's EIGHT different weights! Unbelievable. The list in full with weights involved:

Flyweight, 1998 - 51kg

Superbantamweight, 2001 - 55.3kg

Featherweight, 2003 - 57kg

Superfeatherweight, 2008 - 59kg

Lightweight, 2008 - 61kg

Lightwelterweight, 2009 - 63.5kg

Welterweight, 2009 - 66.7kg

Lightmiddleweight, 2010 - 70kg

That's a 20kg weight gain in just over a decade?!

Now, bring on Floyd and shut his big mouth.

Yes, Pacquiao's acheivements are very impressive, I already had him down as the best p4p fighter around. BUT - I wish he'd stop stipulating catchweights. If you want the light-middleweight title, fight at 154lb, NOT 150lb. He's not a genuine light-middleweight champ in my eyes.

And don't forget he could have feasibly had another two weights to that as he skipped Superflyweight and Bantamweight. Absurd.

Jeremy - a fair complaint but Margarito still came in at 17lbs heavier than Manny for that fight. I'll be interested to see what weight he and Floyd fight at if they ever get it on. My guess would be around welterweight?

Welterweight would make sense for Manny vs Floyd, but you never know with those two. It would probably be 149.5lb as of 5:51pm the day of the fight.

I'm 100% positive than Pacquiao would still have hammered Margarito at the 154lb limit, so why the catchweight? I just don't get it!

[ as for the Haye fight... hope you guys had a good time at the CPT, but I deliberately stayed away, it struck me as a waste of time all along ]

Was in Manchester for the fight on Sat. 2 highlights were reaction for when Lewis was in the ring beforehand and spotted Bruno and got him in there too, And 18,000 people chanting "you're shit and you know you are" when a battered Harrison was leaving the Arena.

Manny, for me, is now the best pfp fighter in the world. An eighth world title at eight different weights is a phenomena. He hurt Magarito badly which almost no one does - the man is made of granite - and negated the height, weight and reach differential.

That's EIGHT different weights! Unbelievable. The list in full with weights involved:

Flyweight, 1998 - 51kg

Superbantamweight, 2001 - 55.3kg

Featherweight, 2003 - 57kg

Superfeatherweight, 2008 - 59kg

Lightweight, 2008 - 61kg

Lightwelterweight, 2009 - 63.5kg

Welterweight, 2009 - 66.7kg

Lightmiddleweight, 2010 - 70kg

That's a 20kg weight gain in just over a decade?!

Now, bring on Floyd and shut his big mouth.

Manny's record is absolutely amazing, I keep thinking that maybe he'll go up one weight too far, but he keeps doing it and winning. He is definitely the best right now. However, part of the reason for that, is that Mayweather isn't really doing anything right now. If they do get it on (and please God let it happen), I think it would be hard to call. Personally, I am a Maytweather fan, just because I like his style (IN the ring!). He can lack class outside of the ring though.

I don't think I'd be cheering for either of them particularly, I'd just love to see them go at each other, and may the best boxer win...

Yes the CPT was rammed, but a good atmosphere, and I had a fun night. Was probably a good thing the fight was short, as I was probably ready to go home when I did! :)-D

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure, I asked them last night Jeremy and they said they were making their mind up.

Prime time in Finland is probably 10pm which is 8pm here in UK so may be a runner.

I will check later and post if i have time, I'm out for dinner but am hoping to get back in time for boxing at CPT if theys show it.

The BBC Boxing website (606 bulletin boards) will probably have a thread going about what time the events start.

Should be a good one as we have Marquez v Katsidis and (I think) Ward v Bika.