Weather issues in East Dulwich - Schools, Transport...

Mark

EDmummy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> News on Heber would be good. They do not appear

> on the Southwark website.

According to the Southwark website, if a school doesn't appear on their list then it will be open. However nothing is guaranteed in the current conditions.

363 was diverted between Peckham Rye and Lordship Lane Wood Vale stop not serving Forest Hill Rd, Wood Vale or Underhill Road.

197 only running between Dulwich Library and Croydon, not serving Barry Road to Peckham, although that might have changed now the 12 is running down Barry Rd.

Ivydale School was closed today (Thursday), but it is not mentioned on the Southwark Council Website, so don't believe all you read! No idea whether it will be open tomorrow.

Nunhead Side of Peckham Rye is fine, but the minute you turn off onto the side roads (Stuart Road, Borland Road etc.) it is like an ice rink.

Molly

Anyone know if the 63 or 363 are running down Forest Hill Rd into town? Have to decide whether to head into the office or work from home - I'd prefer to do the latter, but need a bit of weight to my argument!

How are the roads today? I need to decide whether to take my daughter to nursery. Would need to get from Forrest Hill road area to Denmark Hill area. Too dangerous or fine? Also bit frustrated that Heber is closed again. My son is obviously thrilled...groan. Does anyone know why? With public transport up and running so staff can come in, is it about the safety of the roads/pavements surrounding the school?

matlow Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> ... bit frustrated that

> Heber is closed again. My son is obviously

> thrilled...groan. Does anyone know why? With

> public transport up and running so staff can come

> in, is it about the safety of the roads/pavements

> surrounding the school?

Both the schools that my children go to have said that not having enough grit to keep their pathways safe is a major reason for closure. They have already used up the stocks they had and have more grit on order. But here lies the problem; the councils are prioritising new deliveries of grit to go to hospitals and major roads first, then to schools.

Heber is quite likely to be closed for the same reason as Goodrich, that is a lack of grit. Goodrich ran out of grit yesterday and any new supplies from Southwark are being prioritised for hospitals and roads. It is the need to keep external steps, paths and playgrounds ice free thats causing this current closure.

The staff did a great job yesterday at getting into school and enabling it stay open, so although today is frustrating its just one of those health and safety issues that no-one can get around.

A lack of grit? A lack of common sense and elbow grease more like. Goodrich is closed, despite there being grit in the big yellow bin outside it, and despite the pavements being clear around its perimeters. (It could have a lot to do with the fact that it is a Friday.) The head teachers at Goodrich and Heber should question their reasons for closing their schools and ask themselves whether a few bags of salt, cat litter and a bit of improvised savvy could have kept them open. Children there are being taught that when it's below freezing for a few days, you just stay at home and hope that someone else deals with the 'problem'. The kids would have enjoyed learning about problem solving and working together, I'd've thought, and I am pretty sure there is a national curriculum box that could have been ticked by doing so.