Spring babies club (due Mar, Apr, May 2013)

Hi all,

Looking like quite a few of us can make G&B's on friday the 14th which is great. I can also do Friday 25th Jan if in the morning I have two hours when my little boy is in nursery, although may be a bit of a rush, then all afternoon with him.

Katie x

Great idea to do multiple gatherings to fit around people's different circumstances. Should prove easier to find times that work when all are on maternity leave hopefully.

We can make friday 14th dec at 3pm, will be there with my 15 month yr old daughter.

See lots of you then xx

Hello everybody

Sorry I suggested a meeting date than disappeared... I am freelancing and I am extremely busy around this time of the year.

In theory I can do any of the dates suggested but will only know for sure closer to each date.

Here is also an update of the list of us + babies. Sorry if I have missed anyone before.

Audrey 2nd baby due March

Jnb 1st baby due 1 March

Goldilocks 2nd baby due beg March

SEGirl 2nd baby due beg March

Natalie 1st baby due 9 March

Rgracieg 2nd baby due 13 March

Mrs f 2nd baby due mid March

Bella83 1st baby due mid March

Ana maria 1st baby due mid March

Blueskies 2nd baby due mid March

Bluesuperted 2nd baby due end March

Mollydoodle 2nd baby due beg April

Katiesa 2nd baby due beg April

Cornelia 2nd baby due mid April

Gooders79 2nd baby due mid April

RachC 2nd baby due mid April

Julesjules100 1st baby due 25 April

Sa16 1st baby due 25 April

ActiveBirthCharly 2nd baby due May

KattyKit 2nd baby due May

Cmacnew 2nd baby due May

MM22 3rd baby due beg May

CeBe 1st baby due 6 May

RuthieB 1st baby due 9 May

Vic 1st baby due 19 May

Simonethebeaver 2nd baby due mid May

Rougepamplemousse 2nd baby due end May

Izzybob 2nd baby due end May

Etta166 3nd baby due end May

Hello,

I have just PM'ed you about this, but to clarify for everyone else I can confirm that they are very similar! The one at the Active Birth Centre is run by a woman with more experience than me and she therefore charges a lot more (?90 per person not including lunch and cake). In addition I always have a new mother and her baby (and usually partner too) to come in and share their story. I find that this is very helpful for the workshop attendees and there is lots of time for questions. This is missing from the Active Birth Centre's itinerary. Also I include a section on waterbirth and go into a bit more detail on the interventions you may be offered (and how to asses whether you really need them and what the risks might be). I feel that because my class sizes are quite small (4/5 couples max) and the fact that the workshop is held in my home makes the day feel more intimate and as a result mothers and fathers really feel inspired and confident about their forthcoming birth. Class sizes at the Active Birth Centre have about 12 couples on average attending and the attendees come from all over London whereas I only market myself in the East Dulwich area which means that you are more likely to bond with your fellow attendees and meet up after your births.

An agenda for the day is as follows:

1. Getting to know your pelvis and the baby's path

through it.

2. Optimal positions for a safer and easier birth.

3. Stages of labour and what to expect.

4. A natural birth video with discussion after.

5. Lunch.

6. A birth story from a new mother with plenty of time for questions.

7. Deep dive into the main birthing hormones and how to protect their function so that your labour progresses normally.

8. The uterus - how it works during labour and birth.

9. Group exercise using knowledge gained so far.

10. Another inspiring birth film with discussion after.

11. Tea and cake.

12. Waterbirth: positions, practical suggestions, tips and benefits.

13. Discussion around induction: is it really necessary and what it involves for you and your baby. Practical suggestions for getting things moving again if labour slows down.

14. Safe delivery of the placenta and discussion about cord clamping.

15. Group exercise: the breath and transmuting pain.

16. Questions.

I currently have 3 couples coming (and one non-pregnant midwife) so there are only a couple of places left. Please PM me if you are interested in booking or have any questions.

Thanks,

Charly.

p.s. See some of you on the 14th!

Welcome Undiscovered and thanks Rougepamplemousse for taking time to update the list!

Rgracieg - please put me down for 12 Jan, thanks for organising! Is everyone happy to bring partners if they're interested in coming?

Looks like 14 Dec is also going ahead (sorry I can't make it!). I've not seen any posts for the other two suggested meets below. Even if these are smaller groups, they should be worthwile so please reply to the thread if you are able to make either of these dates. As they come up, if we have too few to join, we'll cancel.

Thurs, Dec 20th @ 8pm - The Actress

Sat, Dec 29th @ 2pm - EDT

On another note, the Dulwich Leisure Centre only offers one 'pregnancy' pilates class a week so I'm searching for others in the area. I'll update everyone on my findings, please share yours if you have any?!

I am also expecting my first on the 24th March next year!

I was just wondering for those that are doing NCT classes, which ones are everyone going to? I couldn't seem to find one in ED on their website and am now worrying I've missed the boat - don't want to be schlecking over to Streatham for classes!

Any info much appreciated.

Thank you

Emily

Hi Edek

I did my nct classes in east dulwich in July 2011, it was near dulwich hospital. Believe that there are also classes in nunhead. In my opinion good to do nct classes as local as possible to make meeting up with babies easier. Maybe give the nct a ring If you can't see it on their website. Good luck x

ah thank you, I think they may be full but will give NCT a call anyway as I'm sure the nunhead one was on there the other day and now it has gone!

Too much going on with pregnancy, house renovation and a puppy!

Thank you x

When I was in the very early stages, I looked into NCT; the closest one at that time was in Herne Hill, so perhaps there wasn't one for ED at this time of year?

Also - hoping to come along on the 20th and the 29th and look forward to meeting some of you!

Hi Everyone,

just a quick message to answer about the NCT classes. I am a midwife and run group antenatal classes at the Mag, in East Dulwich. The course lasts 6 weeks, it is dynamic and interactive, but also informative and research based. It is a great chance to meet other local mothers and prepare you for labour, birth and early days with your baby from first hand experience as a midwife.

The course is a great alternative to NCT, as well as cheaper as it is a smaller business than NCT. During the course I invite 2 couple to tell their birth story. I organise 2 social gatherings while the course last and one final social when the course is over.

Check my website for further information: www.ariadnasole.com or just PM me if you want to know more.

You can always check other entries from birthmatters and you can see all the comments left form other couples who have already been at my classes!

Keep it local and pocket friendly!! I am offering 10% discount to EDF followers as a X-mas special, so the total cost is 207? for 6 weeks, 2 hours weekly and unlimited access to my email for endless information!! I also offer postnatal support and breastfeeding advise once your little one has arrived.

Looking forward to hearing from you and keep on enjoying your bumps!!

Hi Birth Matters, do you run anything for second timers? I have just looked up the nct refresher course and there is one available in March nxt year but Herne Hill. It is only two sessions as a refresher but still pretty expensive. I'd be interested to know if you do an alternative to this as to be in e.d would be better and there is def enough mums having second babies on here to do it. Thanks Katie

Hi Katie,

thank you for your message. I do organise second time mothers refresher groups when I get enquires. I am totally happy to organise a refresher course for March for those of you due April/May. I usually run them over 3 weeks, 2 hour per week with a social gathering during the course and a final one when the course is over. I tend to run them either Tuesday or Wednesday evening from 8 til 10pm, but timing is very flexible to accommodate the group's needs. The cost is 105? and it includes hand outs and email/phone contact for further enquires.I only run them if there are at least 4 couples interested, so if any of you would like to be part of it, please leave a message or PM me For further info or just for an informal chat!

It would be really lovely to create a refresher group from this thread!

looking forward to hearing from you, Ariadna

Evening all.

I am not visiting the nursery tomorrow now so won't be able to make the meetup.

Our moving date is looking like the end of jan (If only we could get the solicitors to hurry up - really want to have exchanged by Xmas) so will be around then.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

Have fun tomorrow