Stop picking daffodils from GG and Peckham Rye Park!!

Louisa

Blimey, what a storm in a teacup. I used to pick daffodils for a living (until I lost all my work to Eastern European immigrants, who were unaware I might add, that local people were losing work to them). Anyway, daffodils need to be regularly picked or they will grow less and less each year. Picking them actually encourages vigorous growth the following year. Are none of you gardeners? The people picking them probably dont know they're doing you a favour but there you are. Also it is NOT illegal to pick flowers, only to dig up and remove the bulb/root. Likening picking flowers to 'vandalism' is just laughable, and suggesting it's an insult to the dead just plain weird.

If flowers are picked by one person, then they are enjoyed by one person. If flowers are left in the setting of a park then they are enjoyed by many. The parks wouldn't look very pretty if they were stripped bare of their flowers would they?

They may all be gone long before that if the few selfish people keep bloody picking them!

And I agree entirely with Cassius, sure picking a few is fine for healping future growth, but if they are all picked whats the point in having them at all?

Louisa.

Cassius Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Picking flowers, dropping, litter, letting dogs foul without clearing up, graffiti. In themselves all small and possibly even petty, but added together can make a difference to the environment in which we live.

I couldn't agree more.

Why stop at picking daffs, eh? Maybe raid the flowerbeds for some bedding plants? And if you are taking your loot home on the bus, why not make yourself comfortable and put your feet up on the seats?

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

> so where are we on the stats - from 0% to 100% how many are remaining?

I'd say a thieftastic 23.47% are left at the roundabout end of Goose Green and but a eye pleasing 83.07% at the other end.

No, "it" didn't start with the Industrial Revolution, "it" started with the Enclosures Acts, that's when "it" all started going wrong for the common people.

Anyway, if you see someone not only picking daffs but digging up the plants in the park, what do you do or say?

I would approach people and let them know I have just posted a phone-photo of them to Crimewatch and even more scarily, the Park Wardens and the SNT. I remember going on a guided walk around the park a few years ago and the person giving the history of the park did tell us that typical park vandals are usually middle aged women from Dulwich nicking plants, and when they had been stopped, they said they believed as rate payers they had a right to some of the plants!

PR as I pointed out previously, the people I saw picking plants in broad daylight all looked pretty well to do and hardly unable to buy these flowers from a florist. I just think some people are completely ignorant, the same types of people who clog up the pavements with their prams and who dont say thankyou when you hold a door open for them. They make me sick.

Louisa.

I regularly see ?well to do? folk sifting through bags left outside Charity Shops in ED, presumably filtering out anything of value to stick on eBay before the charity shops get hold of it ? there?s probably some inverse graph you could draw of affluence versus likelihood of taking things left out in public.

I?m not going to have an aneurysm over people picking flowers though, there seems to be plenty.

We have a fab display of daffs on the corner of Friern Rd and LL, as always.

It's truly lovely, with the pillar box at the front and the Village-style white post-and-chain encircling and the tree in the middle.

As far as I can see, no picking whatsoever.

lenk Wrote:

> I regularly see ?well to do? folk sifting through

> bags left outside Charity Shops in ED, presumably

> filtering out anything of value to stick on eBay

> before the charity shops get hold of it ? there?s

> probably some inverse graph you could draw of

> affluence versus likelihood of taking things left

> out in public.

>

> I?m not going to have an aneurysm over people

> picking flowers though, there seems to be plenty.

Ive asked the question before and been slapped for it but is there such a thing as middle class low life, robbing the mind shop how low can you go. I can be brash crass and a pest but I would'nt lower my self to steal from a charity shop it is depraved.

I've seen many a church going widower sneaking past the mind shop in the early hours sifting through the treasure chest of second hand goods. I tell you it is a crime wave sweeping ED, those yummies are the worst mind you, they use those 3 wheel prams almost like gettaway vehicles the scum!

Louisa.

woofman these wonderful daff's are planted for all our pleasure and if I see ANYONE else taking flowers away I will make a point of making a scene. In fact I am now writing up a sign on here which I will post up around all the areas close to the daff's to stop people from taking them.

Louisa.

I know you like my poetry, Lou, so I just knocked this little number out for you. Perhaps it could form the basis for one of your signs.

I wander'd lonely as a cloud

That floats on high o'er vales and hills,

When all at once I saw a crowd,

A host, of golden daffodils;

Beside the road, beneath the trees,

Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Yet heard I then the cut glass tones

Of Motherhood, the yummy kind,

With notes so kind it chilled my bones

And form'd an outrage in my mind.

For blithe young hands did tear and roil

These golden rays from out the soil.